How to get rid of hiccups
- Hold your breath for a while
- Breath into the paper bag
- Pull your tongue
- Eat honey
- Eat a pinch of sugar or sucrose
- Suck the lemon
Almost everyone’s such as adults, old and baby had hiccups at once a time or another. Sometimes hiccups go away without using any trick and medication on there within a few minutes, hiccups can interfere while eating, drinking, and also while taking.
For those reasons, People come up with a detailed list of tricks to get rid of hiccups, Breathing into a paper bag for a few seconds, and eating a spoonful of sugar and honey. But the question arises which remedy is best and actually work?
Let’s start Reading on to learn about the most popular and effective ways of getting rid of hiccups.
How to get rid of baby hiccups
Causes of hiccups
There are many causes of hiccups but some doing small changes in it may help you avoid hiccups. Some of them are listed below:
- You have to eat slowly.
- You have to eat healthy food like homemade french toast
- Eat smaller amounts of food.
- Do not drink alcohol. It’s also bad for your health.
- Avoid drinking carbonated bottles.
- Avoid eating spicy foods.
- Avoid eating fast foods. You can also lose weight by eating less or avoid fast food
- Avoid stress
Remedies to getting rid of hiccups
There are a few steps and tricks you have to follow them to rid of hiccups. There are a few types of hiccups, but the dangerous one is chronic hiccups, If you have chronic hiccups that last for more than 48 hours, talk you need to talk to your doctor. This may be a sign of an underlying condition requiring treatment. And it goes out with the help of medicine. Now start with some tricks.
Breathing or posture techniques to get rid:
You know that a simple change in breathing can easily relax your diaphragm.
1 Practice measured breathing.
- Mostly people or you can disturb your respiratory system with slow, measured breathing. You have to Breathe in for a count of five and out for a count of five. For sometimes you have to do it and then its automatically up to 5 count breathing.
2 Hold your breath.
- You have to Inhale a large gulp of air and hold it for about 10 to 20 seconds, then breathe out slowly. Repeat this trick when you feel it necessary.
3 Breathe in paper bag.
- Place a paper bag over your mouth and nose. Slowly breathe in with the count of 5 and above and out, deflating and inflating the bag. Please do not use the plastic bag or another bag.
4 Hug your knees.
- Sit down in a comfortable place whatever you want. Make sure that you are in a comfortable place. Then bring your knees to your chest and hold them there for two minutes.
5 Compress your chest.
- Lean or bend forward to compress your chest, which puts pressure on your diaphragm.
2 Pressure points
You have to one thing to be in your knowledge that Pressure points are those areas of your body that are most sensitive to pressure. You have to apply pressure to these sensitive points with your hands or thumbs that may help to relax your diaphragm.
1 Pull on your tongue with your hand.
This is the best tip you have to know. Pulling on your tongue stimulates the anxiety and muscles in your throat. grip the tip of your tongue and softly pull it forward once or twice.
2 Press on your diaphragm.
Your diaphragm separates your abdomen from your lungs. Use your hand to apply pressure to the area just below the end of your sternum.
3 Squeeze your palm.
Use your thumb to apply pressure to the palm of your other hand.
3 Things to eat or drink to rid of hiccups
Eating and drinking of a few things you can easily relax your pressure point and phrenic nerves. let discuss these points.
1 Drink ice water slowly.
- Slowly sipping the cold water may help to relax the vagus nerve.
2 Drink from the opposite side of the glass.
- Tip the glass up under your chin to drink from the far side.
3 Drink water through a cloth or paper towel.
- Cover the top of the glass of cold water with a cloth or paper towel and sip through it and drink slowly.
5 Suck on an ice cube.
- Suck on the ice cube for a few minutes or 45 seconds, then swallow it once it shrinks to a reasonable size
6 Gargle ice water.
- Gargle ice water for 30 seconds. Repeat as necessary.
7 Eat a spoonful of honey.
- Take a full spoon of honey then allow it to dissolve in your mouth, and allow to swallow it.
8 Eat a Pinch of sugar.
- Put a pinch of sugar on your tongue and let it sit there for 5 to 10 seconds, then swallow.
9 Suck on a lemon.
- Suck a big slice of lemon for few seconds or also you can smell salt. Your hiccups will go.
10 Put a few drops of vinegar on your tongue.
Medication for Hiccups
If you feel that your hiccups are longer than enough then you have to concern with your doctor. They might be able to treat chronic hiccups with medication or do some tests to see why your hiccups aren’t going away.
If you have long-term hiccups, your doctor may prescribe:
Baclofen (Gablofen, Lioresal), a muscle relaxer
Chlorpromazine (Ormazine, Thorazine), used to treat psychiatric illnesses
Metoclopramide (Metozolv, Reglan), which treats GERD and other gastric-acid problems
Talk to your doctor right away if you have hiccups along with any kind of stomach pain, fever, shortness of breath, or vomiting, or if you cough up blood.
What do hiccups mean?
Hic the sound of hiccups, it’s probably you can say that the word is given from the sound of hiccups. you have started hiccups while eating something or while sitting or whatever you doing, have you ever notice that what this funny sound comes from and why it comes. The answer is that your diaphragm. This the muscle that is the right bottom of your chest. And hiccups come from here.
Every time your diaphragm almost works perfectly and accurately. When you start inhaling, your diaphragm helps air to pull down into the lungs. When you start to exhale the air, the system relaxes and the flow of the air starts out from your lungs.
Sometimes you notice that your diaphragm becomes irritated. When irritation starts, you notice that suddenly huge gulp of air passes through your throat. When your voice box in throat hits by the rush of air, your vocal suddenly closes and the sound came from your throat is “hic”. This means you are left with a big hiccup.
Some things that irritate the diaphragm are eating too quickly or too much, an irritation in the stomach or the throat, or feeling nervous or excited. Almost all cases of the hiccups last only a few minutes. Some cases of the hiccups can last for days or even months, but this is very unusual and it’s usually a sign of another medical problem.
After that, you heard lots of suggestions from people and doctor about how to get rid of hiccups, and also you tried those suggestions that are very useful such as: hold your breath for while, eating sugar, eating a lemon, and many other.
Now I am giving you some other tips and treatment, someone scares you when you are not expecting, it helps a lot of people and says goodby to hiccups.
Can you really scare hiccups away?
In the United State, the death of US army soldier Fort hood, it shows that the belief in the folk cure of scaring away hiccups can have tragic effects.
when it taken to an extreme level, but Is there any basis if the cure is administrated within reason.
The young boy which was almost 22 years soldier killed by his fellow soldier but the fellow only trying to startle him to come out from the hiccups.
Most people get out of hiccups by two ways that are very popular one is converted or divert your brain by thinking other things that take time to remember you. for example, why you slap me last night? what did you eat in breakfast three days ago? just divert the mind. This cure work when the second person asks you these thing. And other way is drinking water and take some spoonful of honey.
These two cures work very well when you combine both. like hold the breath, and other people ask some questions. Hold the breath to take your diaphragm is a normal condition and the divert mind stop thing of hiccups.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1 What causes frequent hiccups?
There are some causes and the illnesses for which hiccups start or continuing, some of the symptoms include diaphragm pleurisy, pneumonia, uremia, alcoholism, disorders of the stomach, or esophagus, and bowel diseases. Meanwhile, you have to know that Hiccups may also be associated with pancreatitis, pregnancy, bladder irritation, liver cancer, or hepatitis.
2 Do any hiccup cures actually work?
Once in a life, you suffer from hiccups and you feel irritation and looking for how to get rid of hiccups. And sometimes, they last longer than you want because none of the home remedies seem to actually work. Unfortunately, there is no official cure for the hiccups that works for everyone
3 Is it OK to leave baby lying down with hiccups?
No, you don’t leave the baby alone you have to start treatment of the baby like rubbing the back of the baby.
4 What happens when you hiccup?
You notice that the diaphragm start irritate. And what happens, the large gulp of air suddenly touches the voice box and hic sound creates and you are left with hiccups