Positive psychology is a concept that was founded by Martin E. P. Seligman. It focuses on the positive aspects of psychology that makes life easier and worth-living for everyone. It is especially helpful and recommended for people who are prone to depression and suicide. Positive psychology sheds light on human experiences that are both related to one’s individuality and its relationship with society. It helps people understand that life is good for anyone who wishes to see it that way, and definitely worth-living. Positive psychology has three levels, such as individual, societal, and in groups.
Positive psychology has a model, known as PERMA. PERMA stands for Positive emotions, Engagement, Positive relationships, Meaning, and Accomplishment. Now this model is what makes it an absolute necessity for coping with stress.
Summary: Stress makes a person hopeless and often makes them unable to focus or think clearly.
To combat this issue, PEMRA steps in to help the person give an appropriate positive response to stress.
- The “positive emotions” in PERMA allows the person feeling stressed out to have a flow of positive emotions in them. It can help them put themselves in control and not do anything rash.
- The “engagement” allows a person to distract themselves and engage in various activities that make them feel better and lighter. It can help them stay sane and composed.
- The “relationship” part helps a person maintain their interpersonal relationships in a way that they seek comfort and nurturance from each other. The whole point of leaning on each other’s shoulders is to not feel alone which can potentially contribute to the person having suicidal thoughts and depressive symptoms.
- The “meaning” in PERMA gives life a meaning and a purpose to live without regrets and worries. It motivates a person to live and that’s exactly what positive psychology aspires for.
- Finally, the “achievement” provides a person with an elevated sense of achievement that makes them realize they have done something worthwhile and their existence on earth is worth it.
There are a lot of non-toxic and meaningful ways where one can get rid of stress easily. Some of them are mentioned below:
- You can do deep-breathing exercises. This exercise contains a simple method of breathing from your nose, letting it stay in your stomach for a few seconds, and breathing out from your mouth.
- Taking a long walk helps a lot and clears your mind from the disturbing thoughts. It will also calm your nerves when fresh air will hit your face. Make sure to walk in places with natural greenery.
- If you believe in spirituality, try meditation. It helps a lot in keeping you calm and blocks away all your negative thoughts from disrupting your peace.
- Stay grounded. Keep your feet on the cold floor and take a deep breath. Then count at least five objects in your room that you don’t normally notice, like cracks on a wall, rust on the doorknob, etc. It will help distract you temporarily.
- Just like it’s said dramatically, sleep away your troubles. If the matter stressing you out can wait, have some rest and wake up with a fresh mind and work on the solutions.
- Clear your mind. Take a fresh piece of paper and write on every single that is in your mind, whether or not they bother you. When you run out of things to write, that’s where you think about potential solutions to your problem.
- Workout. Some intense workout sessions are bound to calm you down and burn off the extra calories at the same time.
- Hug your pet, sibling, or partner to relax.
Summary: Knowing properly how to respond to stress helps a lot in the long run.
There are multiple benefits of a positive psychological response to stress. Some of them are:
- It can help calm a person who might be vulnerable to environmental stressors. It can literally help save them from risking their lives and getting different disorders developed in them due to stress.
- It can help them find a perspective that they would’ve lost due to all the panic and stress. This could help them find fruitful solutions to their problems.
- Positive psychological response to stress can improve relationships as well. If the stress is caused by problems in a relationship, it can help maintain and improve the bond by focusing on the problem effectively and finding solutions.
- It will motivate a person for doing their best and takes away the fatigue and hopelessness from them.
- Finally, it can embark them on a journey of success since they would be handling their stress so well that their mental heal.
Summary: positive psychological response can help a lot in dealing with stress more effectively.
Positive psychology does a lot for helping a person stay happy and fulfilled in their lives. It focuses on making life worth living for everyone. When it comes to positive psychology handling stress, it does a lot in making a person gain enough strength to deal with the situation instead of letting it become a source of casualty for one’s mental health. Positive psychology makes sure that the response to stress given by a person is effective and fruitful.
Also visit the following articles:
Q1: What are the psychological responses to stress?
A: There are various toxic and non-toxic responses to stress. The toxic ones include anger or aggression, hopelessness, depression, anxiety, overthinking, etc. while the non-toxic responses include healing, meditation, therapy, etc.
Q2: Can stress be positive psychology?
A: Yes, healthy stresses that motivate us instead of depressing us actually has a positive response on our behavior. Such stresses can be seen at job interviews, a night before exams, etc.
Q3: What are the positive effects of stress?
A: Stress in a right amount can prove to be very beneficial for you, as it can motivate you, boost your brain and thinking abilities, alert you, and prepare you for bigger things.
Q4: How do you respond to stress better?
A: You must know when to stop stressing by judging your mental health and body’s response on it. You must also exercise regularly, maintain your diet, get professional help once in a while to keep your mental health on check, and sleep well.