How long is a passport good for

How long is a passport good for depends upon your age limit. If you are younger than 15 years or you are 15 years old then your passport is good for 5 years. If you are above 15 years old your passport is good/ valid for 10 years.

What is Passport?

A passport is an official document issued by a government; it shows a person’s identity and citizenship which allows them to travel to foreign countries. It allows you to travel internationally. There are many types of passports which are described below.

Types of Passports:

There are 6 types of passports being issued by the majority of people in the world those types of passports are discussed below.

1.Regular Passport: Regular Passport is issued to all the other citizens for different reasons like going abroad this passport may have different types in different countries.

2. Official Passport: This official passport is issued to government employees for work that is related to travel. Also, official passports are issued to those who are Judges of the Supreme Court /High courts, Senators, MNAs, and Provincial Ministers. Officers who serve with Government and due to official assignments they proceed to abroad are issued this passport.

3.Diplomatic Passport: Diplomatic Passport is the document of international identity that defines the positions of diplomats and gives them rights this type of passport is issued by the Ministry of foreign affairs to the government officials and their families who are sent abroad for the purpose of attending any conferences.

4.Emergency Passport: This type of passport is issued to those who lost their passport or their passports may be stolen and they do not have time to get the new one These passports are temporary like one way you will travel return to your home country also it has a short validity period than regular passports.

5. Collective Passport: This type of passport is issued to groups who travel together to a specific place for example A trip arranged by the school for students.

6.Family Passport: This type of passport is issued to an entire family; only a single person can be the passport holder who can wish to travel either alone or with any included member in the passport. A member who is not a passport holder cannot travel alone without the passport holder. Few of the countries issue family passports for example: all the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

Purpose of passport:

A passport is a type of document and proof of your citizenship. A passport can’t be used for illegal purposes. A passport can be used for three travel purposes:

1. Booking tickets for a trip to foreign countries.

2. Tracing a passport owner if he or she is missing abroad.

3.If you are opening an account abroad and planned to get a SIM card.

Design and Format of Passport:

According to ICAO they issue passport standards and recommend them to national governments. The size of the passport follows the SO/IEC 7810 id-3 standard which sets out the size 125*88 mm. Passport cards are issued according to the standards of ID-1 (credit card size).

A standard passport format includes the following things.

1. A standard passport format includes a cover (it’s different colors) which contains the Issuing name, country .national symbol, and a document having the description (passport, diplomatic passport, and biometric passport symbol.

2. Title page including the name of the country.

3. Data page having information about the issuing authority and the bearer.

4. Blank pages for Visas.

5. A stamp for entries and exit.

6. Passports have serial numbers which are assigned by the issuing authority.

Languages of Passports:

According to ICAO’s recommendation passports can be issued in French and English or the passports can be in the national language of the country that is issuing passports many countries in Europe use English and French language including their own national language.

Processing Times of passport:

It takes up many weeks and within this, your application is submitted to a mail facility, after your payment, your application is entered into the system. If it is shown in your status of passport that the application you requested is “Not Available” but the documents are on their way safely.

Now a day, you can send your application online using Online Passport Status System. All passport services take time for processing.

1. Door-to-Door Times

Routine: It takes up to 18 weeks almost 12 weeks for processing and 6 weeks for mailing.

Expedited: If you want it sooner, then it takes up to 12 weeks including 6 weeks for processing and 6 weeks for mailing.

Expedited at Agency: If next month you are leaving and need an urgent passport in order to get a visa before you travel anywhere Passport agencies will get your passport within 72 hours means in 3 business days.

2. Check Online:

You can use an online service too for checking the status of your passport so go to the Online Passport Status System and check your application status.

By Phone:

You can also apply for passport applications through smartphones just by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 on Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm Eastern Time.

Make an Appointment at a Passport Agency or Center

Here are two types of appointments:

1.Emergency Service:

If you have an emergency you must call to make an emergency appointment.

2.Urgent Travel Service:

If you want to travel urgently then by the help of the Online Passport Appointment System you can take an appointment or by calling or TDD/TTY 1-888-874-7793 or 1-877-487-2778.

:low_brightness: How long are passports valid for?

Generally, a Passport is good for 5-10 years then you have to renew it in order to travel again. Different countries have different validity timings of passports some of them are discussed below.

1. How long is a passport good for in Pakistan?

Once in Pakistan ordinary passport is issued to all citizens of Pakistan then a Machine Readable Passport is issued by the doctorate general of immigration & Passports which is valid for 5 years and Ten years to fee deposit. Remember that the passport having 5 years validity will not be converted into validity for 10 years.

2. How long is a passport good for in the U.S?

How long your passport is good for in the U.S after you get a new passport depends on your age let’s suppose your age is 16 or you are older than 16 years old then your passport is valid for 10 years if you are below 16 and your passport is issued then your passport is good for 5 years.

3. How long is a passport card good for in Canada?

In Canada, Your passport validity depends on the age of the passport holder and it is good for different periods of time. Adults who are 16 and over 16 age their passports are valid for five or 10 years depends on what you choose. Children who are 0 to 15 years of age their passport card is good for 5 years.

4. How long is a passport valid for in the U.K?

You must be thinking of how many years is a passport good for in the U.K? Then remember if you are at the age of 16 or above so your passport is valid for 10 years. Your passport is valid for 5 years when at the time of issuing the passport you were 15 years younger or completely 15 years old.

:low_brightness: How long for a renewed passport:

It takes up to 10 weeks in order to get your passport if you want an urgent one you can also apply for it may charge an additional fee remember your new passport and the old one will not have the same number so do not book your travel until you get the new/valid passport.

Different countries have different timings of renewing passports some of the countries are discussed below.

1.How long for a renewed passport in Pakistan:

The processing time for renewing a passport takes normally 4 weeks and if you are applying for an urgent passport then it takes up to 2 weeks after the date of booking.

2. How long for a renewed passport in the U.S:

From the day you have submitted your application they take up to 18 weeks until you receive your new passport. These 18 weeks include 12 weeks for processing and 6 weeks for front and back end mailing times.

3. How long for a renewed passport in Canada:

If you are about to go for renewing your passport at a passport office then it takes 10 business days almost and if you are planning to renew your passport through mail then your application will be processed to take 20 business days.

4. How long for a renewed passport in the UK:

It does not take so long for renewing a passport in the UK once you request renewing passport it takes up to 10 weeks to get your passport and if you prefer to go online through the mail for renewing your passport then it doesn’t take long online than by post.

Summary: :writing_hand:
A passport is good/ valid for 5 years-10 years depending on your age. Having a passport is very beneficial in order to travel anywhere internationally. You can also apply for a new passport, stolen passport, and lost passport through post or online by mailing.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Here are some questions that are asked frequently about how long is a passport good for and they are as follows.

1. When is the best time to get a passport?

According to the U.S. State, it is best to apply for a new passport or renewing passport which is expired is between September and the end of December because at that time you can demand a new passport and the department can process immediately due to its off-peak season.

2.How long do I need a passport before traveling?

In the US it requires that a passport must be good for at least six months before you complete your trip while in the U.K you must have at least 30 days before you exit the trip place otherwise it is recommended that you have at least 6 months validity on your passport before expiring.

3.Which countries require six months of passport validity?

Sometimes, a valid passport isn’t enough. The entry requirements for most countries state that a passport cannot expire within six months of arrival in that country, or in some cases, the passport cannot expire until six months after the exit date. Many Asian and South American countries like the following apply these rules.

• Belize
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • Burundi
  • China
  • Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
  • Ecuador (also includes the Galapagos Islands),
  • And French.

Mexico and Canada currently don’t require 6 months of validity.

4. What to do if you lost your passport?

If you lost your passport first of all you will report and then you can apply for a new passport and simply complete an additional passport form claiming that you have lost your passport.

Or if your passport is stolen you must fill a form DS-11 in person and submit it then maybe you will be called for an appointment at a passport agency to get your passport.

5.How we can get a US passport in an emergency?

If you want an urgent passport then it is usually issued within 72 hours means 3 business days by the department of the U.S and pay additional fees. There are many other options for getting an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency to get your U.S passport.

6.What are the fees of a passport?

Fees of passport vary from 500 to Rs. 3,500 depending on which service you are required for your passport. For Example:

S.No Service Required for Passport Application Fee Additional Fee
1. Fresh Passport / Re-issue of Passport of 10 years validity (36 pages) 1,500 2,000
2. Fresh Passport / Re-issue of Passport of 10 years validity (60 pages) 2,000 2,000
3. Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport (36 pages) 1,000 2,000
4. Replacement of Passport (36 pages) 3,000 2,000
5. Replacement of Passport (60 pages) 3,500 2,000
6. Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) 5,00 NA
7. Replacement of Passport (36 pages)10 year validity 1,500 2,000
8. Replacement of Passport (60 pages) 10 year validity 2,000
9. Replacement of Passport (36 pages) 5 year validity 1,000

7.What is the difference between a passport book and a passport card?

The passport card was designed for the basic purpose of the needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that pass the border frequently by land. The document which is to be approved for international travel is the passport book.

8.What is the benefit of a passport card?

Passport provides us to travel in international level. Passport allows you to travel easily to nearby countries by land and sea. According to the Travelers agency, the U.S. passport card is accepted as an ID to visit 20 foreign nations. Those countries are Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and 17 islands in the Caribbean.

Conclusion:

How long is a passport good for is not at all a difficult question these days because it is quite obvious now the validity of a passport is a minimum of 5years and a maximum of 10 years old depending on your age.

Related Articles:

1. Charge Card

2. Safest Cities In The US

3. APR Credit Card

Introduction Of Passport Good For

A passport is a government-issued document that confirms a person’s identity. It enables the holder to travel to and from foreign nations while under its protection. The document verifies the holder’s personal identification and nationality. The entire name, photograph, location and date of birth, signature, and passport expiration date are all included in standard passports. Many countries have problems. Do you need to know the difference between a passport and a visa before you travel?

Purposes

Before going on a trip, make sure you understand the distinctions between a passport and a visa, as you may require both. What is the purpose of a passport? The primary distinction between a passport and a visa is that a passport is provided to inhabitants of a country for the purpose of foreign travel and identification. A passport is used to prove one’s identity. The pace of travel is picking up again. However, if you plan on travelling internationally later this year, you should check your passport.

Problems

You may already have a problem if it’s about to expire. Because countries and airlines have rigorous passport expiration laws, this is the case. Your passport should be valid for at least six months after the start of your journey to be safe. It is something that far too many people are concerned about. You must provide certain documents as part of the Schengen visa application process when applying for a visa to Europe. The Schengen States have compiled a list of required documents for each purpose of admission into this territory, and these criteria are nearly same for a stay in each. This page contains a checklist of the documents that are normally necessary. A biometric passport and a child’s passport are the two types of passports available for children. Here’s a link to a page that explains the difference. Please keep in mind that after making an appointment, all passports must be applied for in person (by parents/legal guardian(s) and child). This guide will walk you through the process of renewing your child’s Irish passport. There is also information on how to apply for your child’s first Irish passport. To be eligible for an Irish passport, your child must be an Irish citizen.

Conclusion

Children’s Irish passports are valid for 5 years. You will need to apply to renew your child’s Irish passport if they wish to travel abroad beyond this period.
The Visa and Passport Security Strategic Plan fulfils more than only Section 7218 of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act’s requirements. It goes beyond addressing the flaws shown by the 9/11 hijackers’ use of U.S. travel credentials.

RoadMap’s

This plan lays forth a detailed roadmap for three proactive and integrated tactics to avoid false production. When crossing an international border, you will almost always be required to show your passport. And, as most people are aware, governments provide passports to their citizens. But what happens if a refugee is unable to secure a passport from their home country’s government? Refugees are people who have fled persecution, conflict, or violence in their home country and are unable, or unwilling, to return.

FAQ’S

I don’t have any documentation proving my citizenship in Canada. What options do I have?
If you do not have or have lost your proof of Canadian citizenship, you should have it replaced as quickly as possible and, if possible, postpone your trip arrangements. After you’ve asked for a replacement of your Canadian citizenship evidence and determined that your vacation plans are feasible.

1**: I do not have documentary proof of Canadian citizenship. What can I do?**

2**: I have a valid passport. When can I apply for a new passport?**

3**: Can I add more pages to my passport? Can the validity of my passport be extended?**

4: *Can I submit an application for processing in the Philippines if I am not physically there?

5**: Do I need to give written authorization for my representative to submit an application?**

6: How can I apply for a passport if I do not have an eligible guarantor?

7: How long does it take to process my passport application?

8: Can I request rush processing of my passport application?

9: Can I travel to Canada using my Canadian citizenship card and a passport issued from another country (ex. Philippine passport)?

10**: Where can I have my photos taken? How can I replace a damaged passport? Will I be allowed to keep my damaged or destroyed passport?**

11: Can I send someone to collect the passport on my behalf? Can I have my new passport sent to another office for me to collect there? Can I still use the valid visas in my cancelled passport? My passport has expired for some time. Can I still renew it?

12: Am I able to travel using my expired passport? Am I able to travel using my Canadian citizenship card? Why do you recommend that Canadians ensure there are at least six or more months of validity remaining on their passports?

13: Do I require six months of validity on my passport to travel back to Canada?

Passport Expiration Date: What are the Rules to Travel?

In a perfect world, you would be able to travel and stay abroad until your passport expires.
This isn’t a simple world, though. Even if your passport is valid and will be valid at the end of your stay, you may be denied entrance to a nation. That’s because a passport that hasn’t expired isn’t necessarily valid. So, before you get started with our trip packing checklist, double-check your passport expiration date and the passport expiration rules of the nation you’re visiting. This tutorial will teach you everything you need to know about your valuable travel document’s validity, including: What is the location of the expiration date?

How to Check Your Passport Expiration Date?

Where is the expiry date on a passport?

The process of determining a passport’s expiration date is usually simple. It’s on the data page, which is usually the first page of a passport. On this page, you’ll also see the traveller’s photo, as well as personal information like nationality and date of birth. This page also shows the date of issue and expiration of your passport, which is crucial in this case. It should be next to the photograph in the bottom-right corner. A passport is no longer valid 10 or 15 years after it was granted as a rule of thumb. Continue reading to see why you should treat your passport expiration date with caution.

Can I check my passport expiration online?

Personal service like this is not offered in every country. To find out if you can check your passport expiration date online, go to your country’s passport website. You will, however, require your passport number, which can be found… on your passport. You don’t need to verify your passport’s expiration date online if you have it with you because it’s already written on the first page! The only reason you’d want to check this online is if this information has become illegible on the page for some reason, or if you’ve misplaced your passport. In both circumstances, your passport’s validity is jeopardized, and you must renew it as soon as possible.

Passport Expiration Rules: How Close to Passport Expiration Can I Travel?

There’s more to passport expiration than the date printed on your passport, as we’ve already discussed. Each country has its own set of rules regarding passport expiration and entrance restrictions.

What is the Six Months Rule for passports?

The “Six Months Rules,” as the name implies, require that your passport be valid for six months beyond your trip date in the nations that implement the requirement. Authorities evaluate more than just the expiration date of your passport when determining your ability to enter their country: they also assess the length of your stay. Most nations allow you to stay without a visa for up to three months. As a result, they require at least 3 months of passport validity beyond your departure date. However, in a few countries, notably Europe, the passport validity requirement has been increased to six months.

Can you travel with a passport that expires in 2 months?

It depends on where you’re going and where you’re going, but it’s generally a good idea to leave at least 6 months between trips. Having said that, if you forgot about your passport’s impending expiration date, you may still be able to enter the country if you have proof of your return date. If you booked a return flight, for example, it might be helpful to demonstrate the immigration official that you intend to leave the country before your passport expires. They may also let you in if you can show that you have a scheduled appointment to renew your passport.

Can you travel with an expired passport?

Not a chance if you’re travelling internationally. Your vacation is already jeopardized if your passport is about to expire; an expired passport gives virtually no prospect of safe departure.
If your passport has expired or is soon to expire, follow the instructions provided by the Department of State and local authorities in your destination country to renew it before your trip. You don’t want to leave it up to border control to decide whether or not to let you in.

Can you book a flight with an expired passport?

Because the airline does not require a passport at the time of booking, the answer is yes.
When it comes to checking in for your journey, though, you’ll meet a brick wall: whether you check in online or at the airport, the airline will ask for your passport information, including the expiration date, for foreign travel. You will not be able to check-in if your passport has expired. Do not even consider lying about it; you will simply delay the inevitable and be denied boarding at the airport. And you won’t be compensated for being denied boarding. You won’t be able to fly domestically with an expired passport, by the way. The travel document is no longer valid once it has expired.

Passport Expiration Renewal: How Close to Expiration Can a Passport be Renewed?

Valid passports should be renewed around 8 months before they expire as a general rule.
Why? Because passport applications take an average of two months to process. Consider starting the passport renewal process 8 months before your passport expires if you wish to have a 6 month buffer to travel with peace of mind (see Six Months Rule above).

What to do if I realize that my passport is about to expire at the last minute?

It all depends on when this insight occurs. Most national governments have emergency procedures in place to allow passport holders to renew their travel documents quickly. As you may think, it will cost you more than a standard passport replacement.

How to renew an expired passport?

We offer a step-by-step instruction on how to renew a passport that has expired. You have the option of doing so online, by mail, or in person. All of these alternatives are covered in our guide, as well as the paperwork you’ll need to provide, including a valid passport photo. This is also true if you’ve misplaced your passport.

What to do with your expired passport?

Even if you get a new, valid passport, you should still be cautious with your old, expired one.
To begin, keep in mind that your passport, even if it has expired, can still be used as proof of citizenship in most countries. Finally, and maybe most critically, your previous passport may still have valid visas in it. If this is the case, make sure you have both a valid passport and an expired passport with the visa stamp with you when you travel. Now, if your old, expired passport is no longer valuable, don’t just throw it away. Shred or burn your passport before discarding it. This will prevent those with nefarious motives from abusing it.

Passport Valid Check: How long is a passport valid?

How long is a passport valid in the US?

Adult passports in the United States are valid for ten years from the date of delivery, but child passports are only valid for five years.

How long is a passport valid in the UK?

Passports in the United Kingdom are valid for 10 years if you were 16 or older at the time of delivery, and only 5 years if you were 15 or younger.

Is my passport valid after Brexit?

Despite a no-deal Brexit, UK passport holders will be able to travel to Europe. They’ll be able to utilize the “EU passport” queues at border control at least until the end of 2020. UK passports, on the other hand, must be valid for the duration of their journey. After the end of the year, Britons, like all other non-EU countries, will be subject to the Six Months Rule that applies to Schengen Area countries. On the plus side, flight compensation laws should remain unchanged after Brexit.

How long is a passport valid in each country?

Below is a comprehensive list of nations and the length of time a passport is valid for each.
But there’s one more thing to remember: when travelling to specified countries, your passport should not only not be expired or have at least six months left before it expires, but it should also contain numerous blank pages. This is to allow for the printing of a visa.

FAQ’S

How long is a passport good for after it expires?

Is there a grace period for renewing my passport if it has expired? Yes, if your passport is a 10-year passport, you have five years from the expiration date to renew it (does not include temporary or child passports).

How much does a passport cost and how long is it good for?

A passport book for an adult costs $110 plus a $25 processing/acceptance charge, whereas an adult passport card costs $30 plus a $25 processing fee. Both have a ten-year shelf life. A minor passport book costs $80 plus a $25 processing/acceptance charge, whereas a minor passport card costs $15 plus a $25 processing fee.

Is it easier to renew a passport before it expires?

Passport renewal applications should be submitted nine months prior to the passport’s expiration date. There are three reasons why you should renew your passport so soon. To begin with, the sooner you apply, the less likely you are to require expedited services.

Conclusion

Before you even consider scheduling that bucket-list vacation, there’s one thing you should do right now: double-check your passport’s expiration date. It is critical to ensure that your travel documents are valid for at least six months beyond the dates of any planned international travel. Because passports are valid for up to ten years, it’s easy to lose track of when they need to be renewed (especially if you don’t use it very often). This apparently insignificant issue could spell disaster for your trip. While the United States permits tourists to use their passports until the precise date specified on the front page, many other nations do not.