Tired of your insomniac routine and is searching for some better ways to how to fall asleep ? Then, you have got a better platform to have the solution for your problems.
Sleep is one of the most necessary activities of a human being. After having a busy and a restless day, our bodies need some rest and for that reason, it is necessary to have a sound sleep. Thus, falling asleep is like a diet to a human being for the survival. However, some people have to wait for the whole nights, tossing on their beds and failing in the trials to sleep. They search for the better ways to be able to make themselves comfortable but mostly fail in it. As Thomas Dekker said, “Sleep is the golden chain that binds health and our bodies together”. So in order to have a better health we need discover how to fall asleep and how to get a better sleep.
How to fall asleep?
There are several ways that you can adopt to ensure a better sleep:
Solution 1: Adjust your sleep cycle.
Most of the time our sleep cycle is affected by the differing timings that we utilize to fall asleep, resulting into an abrupt sleep cycle. This is the major cause that becomes an obstacle to your sleeping pattern. Thus focus on adjusting the cycle.
- Try to sleep and wake up every day at a fixed time. Let your body adjust the sleeping clock and do not disturb that clock again.
- Avoid the naps during the day. Sometimes you feel dizzy all day and take multiple naps which affects the sleep cycle for the night time. Thus try to have an approximately 10-20 minutes nap during the day and not more than that.
- Try to overcome the drowsiness that overcomes you during the day. This can be done by involving yourself in different activities such as exercising, doing house chores, reading or writing.
Solution: 2 Make your room comfortable and cozy
Sometimes the sleep is affected by the irregular arrangement of the objects present around or by the uncomfortable bed and pillows. Moreover, if our body temperature is not at its normal point and we either feel hot or cold, then we cannot have a cozy sleep and keep on tossing on the bed till we get a good temperature to sleep.
- Keep a comfortable pillow and a high quality mattress for yourself. Make sure that if it’s cold outside, then your room is at a temperature at which your body can adjust and feel comfortable and vice versa.
- If you are not in a habit to sleep in a place where there is a lot of nice, then try to find yourself a quiet corner of the house to sleep, so that your brain would not be disturbed.
- Control the light of the night bulbs according to how much light your brain can process and still will let you sleep.
Solution 3: Keep the electronic gadgets away once you enter your bed
The electronic gadgets such as laptops and the mobile phones have such radiations that give a signal to the brain as if it’s still the day. This results into an insomniac state, which most people consider as the cause of depression or any psychological defect. So it is best recommended by several psychologists that a person should put away all the gadgets before entering the bed.
- Try to keep a book or meditative audios for yourself while going to sleep as it is a general observation that reading a book helps you sleep better and faster.
- Even if there is an important work to be done, try to keep the brightness of the gadgets to the lowest point, so that the blue lights emitted by them will not affect your eyes or the brain.
- The best time that is recommended to dispatch from these devices before bed is 30 minutes. Try to adjust with the time frame and leave the devices 30 minutes before going to the bed.
Solution 4: Keep a check on your eating habits
If you take a heavy meal at night, you can have nausea or a stomach ache. This disrupts your sleeping pattern a lot and becomes a barrier for your sleep. Try to avoid taking heavy meals before sleeping and take some light snacks if you feel hungry before sleeping.
- Avoid spicy or heavy food items that are not good for your health and can because you stomach problems.
- Do not take caffeine or alcohol before sleeping, as they may disrupt you while falling asleep.
- Try not to have a lot of liquid intake before sleeping as it will make you to use the rest room frequently, causing you a trouble to sleep.
How to sleep easy and faster?
Need help to make yourself sleep faster? Here are some tips to make you comfortable through some exercises and sleep faster.
1. The 4-7-8 method by Dr. Andrew Weil:
- Sit straight with a straight back.
- Keep your tongue behind the upper front teeth throughout the whole exercise. The exact location is on the ridge tissue for placing the tongue.
- Start exhaling through your mouth and make a ‘whoosh’ sound.
- Then, you have to inhale through your noise while counting for 4 times, keeping your mouth closed.
- Count for 7 times and hold your breath till this count finishes.
- Then, make a whoosh sound 8 times by exhaling through your mouth.
- This whole procedure will make a single breath and you have to repeat this process for 3 more times.
- Thus try to do this procedure twice a day.
2. The military method:
- Loosen up the muscles in your face, including tongue, jaw and the muscles around the eyes
- Drop your shoulders as far down as they’ll go, trailed by your upper and lower arm, each side in turn
- Inhale out, loosening up your chest followed by your legs, beginning from the thighs and working down
- You should then go through 10 seconds attempting to free your psyche before considering one from the three after pictures:
- You’re lying in a kayak on a quiet lake with only a reasonable blue sky above you
- You’re lying in a dark velvet lounger in a totally dark room
- You state “don’t think, don’t think, and don’t think” to yourself again and again for around 10 seconds.
The method is said to work for 96 percent of individuals following a month and a half of training.
3. Progressive Muscle Relaxation Method (PMR):
If you are suffering from insomnia then you should try the third method i.e. PMR (Progressive Muscle Relaxation Method.
- While inhaling, contract one muscle group (for example your upper thighs) for 5 seconds to 10 seconds, then exhale and suddenly release the tension in that muscle group.
- Give yourself 10 seconds to 20 seconds to relax, and then move on to the next muscle group (for example your buttocks).
- While releasing the tension, try to focus on the changes you feel when the muscle group is relaxed. Imagery may be helpful in conjunction with the release of tension, such as imagining that stressful feelings are flowing out of your body as you relax each muscle group.
- Gradually work your way up the body contracting and relaxing muscle groups
FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions):
1). Is my sleep affected by day time naps?
If you take a day time nap for more than 20 minutes, then it will defiantly affect your night time sleep. Mostly, people are tired during the day after a load of work and in order to have some rest, they take a longer amount of naps. This totally disturbs the sleep cycle giving you a feeling of insomnia at night and you will be tossing the whole night. Thus it is recommended to have a nap for only 15-20 minutes and not more than that.
2). Is it normal to have dreams while we fall asleep?
Dreams are associated with our unconscious part of the brain. If you are having a better experience of life then you will have better dreams but if you are having a bitter experience, then it can be painful for you to have dreams. Thus for some people it is normal but traumatic incidents can affect them. Therefore we should try to overcome the painful memories of life to have good dreams.
3). Can lack of sleep affect our health?
Yes, definitely. The lack of sleep can result into psychological as well as physical illness. The physical illness include dizziness, fatigue and psychological can include lack of concentration and insomniac state. It has also been observed that the people who do not take enough sleep are easy irritable and it can cause them anxiety and depression. Thus if you are suffering from lack of sleep, you need to see a doctor or follow a proper schedule.