How to Meditate

What is meditation?

First thing you have to know that what is mediation. Meditation is the best and ancient approach to training the mind, It’s similar to the way that to train the body by fitness approach such as exercise, gym. t. But many meditation techniques exist — so how do you learn how to meditate?

“In the Buddhist tradition, this is an ancient tradition the word ‘meditation’ is equivalent to a word like ‘sports’ in the U.S.

It is very difficult for a kind beginner to sit for a few mints and think of nothing or have an “empty mind.” In general, the easiest way to begin meditating is by focusing on the breath lets an example of one of the most common approaches to meditation: concentration.

Type of Mediate:

Before knowing how to meditate, you have to know the best types of meditation. There are six popular types of meditation practice:

• mindfulness meditation
  • spiritual meditation
  • focused meditation
  • movement meditation
  • mantra meditation
  • transcendental meditation

You have to know one thing is that not all types of meditation styles are right for everyone. Because everyone has their own mindset and different skills. Does the Question arise what type of meditation is right for the right person?

Let’s discuss this with you. You have to keep reading for the sack of learning more about the different types of meditation and how to get started

1 Mindfulness meditation

Mindfulness meditation originates from ancient Buddhist teachings and is the world’s most popular meditation technique for the mind in the West.

In mindfulness meditation, you only pay attention to those thoughts which they are pass through your mind. You don’t judge the thoughts or become involved with them. You do one thing is that you simply observe them and take note of any patterns. This mediation is the name of a practice that combines concentration with awareness. You may find it helpful to focus on an object or your breath while you observe any bodily sensations, thoughts, or feelings.

This type of very helpful for those kinds of people who don’t have a teacher to guide or you can say that have not enough money to get hire the teacher.

2 Spiritual meditation

Spiritual meditation is the type of meditation that mostly used in Eastern religions, like Hinduism and Daoism, and in Christian faith. This mediation is similar to prayer in that you reflect on the silence around you and seek a deeper connection with your God or Universe. It means that you connect with your self deep inside and only think about the religion you have.

This meditation can be practiced at home or in a place of worship. This practice is best for those who want to be silent and seek spiritual growth.

3 Focused meditation

The name explains what type of mediation is this. So Focused meditation involves concentration using any of the senses. For example, you can focus on something internal, like your breath, or you can bring in external influences to help focus your attention. Try counting mala beads, listening to a gong, or staring at a candle flame.

This practice looks very simple in theory, but it can be very much difficult for beginners to hold their focus for longer than a few minutes at once.

Let me tell you this practice is best or you can say ideal for those type of people who requires additional focus in their life.

4 Movement meditation

When someone hears about the movement mediation they think that its yoga. This is the best body training practice may include walking through the woods, gardening, qigong, and other gentle forms of motion. It’s an active form of meditation where the movement guides you.

Movement meditation is good for those people who find peace in action and prefer to let their minds wander.

5 Mantra meditation

Mantra meditation is prominent in many teachings, including Hindu and Buddhist traditions. This is the best type of meditation that uses a repetitive sound to clear the mind. It can be a word, phrase, or sound, such as the popular in Hinduism like “Om.”

In this meditation, you can speak loudly and quietly its on you. After chanting the mantra for some time, you will be more alert and in tune with your environment. This will allow you to do deeper.
Some people like this type of meditation because they find the easier way to focus on one word than on their breath This is also a good practice for people who don’t like silence and enjoy repetition.

6 Transcendental meditation

Transcendental meditation is the most popular type of meditation around the world, and it’s the most scientifically studied. This practice is more customizable than mantra meditation, using a mantra or series of words that are specific to each practitioner.

This practice is for those who like structure and are serious about maintaining a meditation practice.

How to get started Meditation - 20 Tips & Steps:

1. You have to Sit for just two or two and a half minutes. This will seem easy, to just meditate for only a few minutes. That’s perfect. Start with just two or two and a half minutes a day for a week. I prefer to start with two minutes If that goes well, increase by another two minutes and do that for a week.

2. Do it first thing each morning. It’s easy to say, “I’ll meditate every day,” but then forget to do it. Instead, set a reminder for every morning when you get up, and put a note that says “meditate” somewhere where you’ll see it.

3. Don’t get loose up in the how just do. Most people worry about where to sit, how to sit, what cushion to use this is all nice, but it’s not that vital to get on track. Start just by sitting on a chair, or on your couch. If you’re relaxed on the ground, sit with the help of cross-legged. It’s just for two minutes at first anyhow, so just sit. Later you can worry about optimizing it so you’ll be happy for longer, but in the start, it doesn’t matter much, just sit somewhere calm and easy.

4. Check in with how you’re emotion. As you first resolve into your meditation sitting, simply check to see how you’re emotion. How does your body feel? What is the quality of your mind? hard? Tired? worried? See whatever you’re bring to this meditation session as completely OK.

5. count up your breaths. Now that you’re developed in, turn your concentration to your breath. Just place the concentration on your breath as it comes in, and pursue it through your nose all the way down to your lungs. Try counting “one” as you take in the first breath, then “two” as you breathe out. Repeat this to the count of 10, then start again at one.

6. Come back when you stroll. Your mind will stroll. This is an almost absolute faith. There’s no problem with that. When you observe your mind wandering, smile, and simply softly return to your breath. Count “one” again, and start over. You might feel a little annoyance, but it’s perfectly OK to not stay alert, we all do it. This is the practice, and you won’t be good at it for a little while.

7. Build up a loving thoughts. When you observe thoughts and feelings arise during meditation, as they will, look at them with a friendly feelings. See them as friends, not intruders or enemies. They are a part of you, though not all of you. Be friendly and not harsh.

8. Don’t worry too much that you’re doing it wrong. You will worry you’re doing it wrong. That’s OK, we all do. You’re not doing it wrong. There’s no perfect way to do it, just be happy you’re doing it.

9. Don’t worry about clearance the mind. Lots of people believe meditation is about clearing your mind, or stop all thought. It’s not that. This can occasionally happen, but it’s not the goal of meditation. If you have feelings, that’s normal. We all do. Our brains are thought factories, and we can’t just shut them down. Instead, just try to practice focusing your notice, and practice some more when your mind wanders.

10. Stay with whatever arise. When feelings arise, and they will, you might try staying with them a while. Yes, I know I said to return to the breath, but after you do that for a week, you might also try stay with a thought or feeling that arise. We tend to want to keep away from feelings like frustration, anger, anxiety but an wonderfully useful meditation practice is to stay with the feeling for awhile. Just stay, and be curious.

11. Get to know yourself. This observe isn’t just about focusing your attention, it’s about learning how your mind works. What’s going on inside there? It’s foggy, but by watching your mind drift, get frustrated, avoid hard feelings … you can start to recognize yourself.

12. You need to become friends with yourself. As you get to know yourself, do it with a friendly manner instead of one of criticism. You’re getting to know a friend. Smile and give yourself love.

13. Do a body scan. Another thing you can do, once you become a little better at following your breath, is focus your attention on one body part at a time. Start at the soles of your feet — how do those feel? Slowly move to your toes, the tops of your feet, your ankles, all the way to the top of your head.

14. Notice the light, sounds, energy. Another place to put your attention, again, after you’ve practice with your breath for at least a week, is the light all around you. Just keep your eyes on one spot, and notice the light in the room you’re in. Another day, just focus on noticing sounds. Another day, try to notice the energy in the room all around you (including light and sounds).

15. Really commit yourself. Don’t just say, “Sure, I’ll try this for a couple days.” Really commit yourself to this. In your mind, be locked in, for at least a month.

16. You can do it anywhere. If you’re traveling or something comes up in the morning, you can do meditation in your office. In the park. During your commute. As you walk somewhere. Sitting meditation is the best place to start, but in truth, you’re practicing for this kind of mindfulness in your entire life.

17. Follow guided meditation. If it helps, you can try following guided meditations to start with. My wife is using Tara Brach’s guided meditations, and she finds them very helpful.

18. Check in with friends. While I like meditating alone, you can do it with your spouse or child or a friend. Or just make a commitment with a friend to check in every morning after meditation. It might help you stick with it for longer.

19. Find a community. Even better, find a community of people who are meditating and join them. This might be a Zen or Tibetan community near you (for example), where you go and meditate with them. Or find an online group and check in with them and ask questions, get support, encourage others. My Sea Change Program has a community like that.

20. Smile when you’re done. When you’re finished with your two minutes, smile. Be grateful that you had this time to yourself, that you stuck with your commitment, that you showed yourself that you’re trustworthy, where you took the time to get to know yourself and make friends with yourself. That’s an amazing two minutes of your life.

Meditation isn’t always easy or even peaceful. But it has truly amazing benefits, and you can start today, and continue for the rest of your life.

Why meditation is beneficial?

There is much-evidenceTrusted Source supporting the numerous benefits of meditation.

Meditation can help:

• Lower blood pressure
  • reduce anxiety
  • decrease pain
  • ease symptoms of depression
  • improve sleep
    Whether the benefits are anecdotal or scientifically proven, those who follow a daily meditation practice are convinced of the benefits in their lives.

How to Meditate

I am going to teach you about how to meditate. I am going to go over everything from where to meditate what you should do with your body, What you should do with your mind, and even how long you should do it for so you can start reaping some of these benefits. All of the information I am giving you is taken from a book that is recommended by just about every meditation forum on the internet “Mindfulness in plain English”

Where should I meditate?

Technically you can meditate anywhere you’d like because it is an exercise for the mind you can sit in a chair sitting on the floor and even laying in bed however there is an optimal way to meditate. It’s best to avoid meditating in bed because you tend to fall asleep.

Meditating on the Floor with your back straight up is actually considered to be the most formal and beneficial way to meditate and this is because it keeps you wide awake and allows you to sit for long periods of time

What do I do with my body the first thing you want to keep in mind when meditating is your feet a lot of well-seasoned meditators will preach about how your feet need to be on top of each other. However, for the majority of people who are beginners is perfectly fine to have them crisscrossed on top of each other like a pretzel. Your arm is resting on your dies your hands rest on top of each other and form a cup, shape your dumbs can touch it’s up to you.
What’s Important is that your arms feel relaxed. Your back is straight and your head is completely level your head is not tilted upwards or downwards just forward.

What to do with your eyes?

You have the option of meditating with your eyes open or with your eyes closed. However, for most beginners, I would recommend you to meditate with your eyes closed as its easier to focus. If you do choose do meditate with your eyes open, do not focus your eyes on an object in front of you instead look into the distance.

How long should I meditate?

Now before you start your meditation session, you will want to set an alarm, this is because time tends to feel a lot slower when you first start meditating. So setting an alarm helps prevent a constant need to wonder about much time is left in the session. For the first time meditators, I’d recommended you start with just 5 minutes on the clock. As you make meditation into a daily practice and get more used to sitting in the meditative position for long periods of time you can increase the time. Most people recommend meditating between 10 to 20 minutes.

What to do during meditation?

There are many different forms of meditation some focus on the thing around you, some involve reciting words in your mind. The one you will learning today is one the most commonly taught forms of meditation and its called mindfulness breathing meditation. It is very easy to learn and it’s considered to be just as powerful and insightful as any other form of meditation. The focus of breathing meditation is well you guessed it on your breath.

First, you want to make sure that you are breathing through your nose. Then all you have to do is focus all of your attention on your breath observes the way the air feels as it flows through your nostrils. Observe the way your breath transition from inhale to exhale. Observe that little pause between those two actions. Observe every single aspect of the way it feels. Do not judge it do no criticize it simply observe.

What you will quickly notice is that thoughts will start appearing in your minds and will distract you from this simple task. What should I cook for dinner hmm, Maybe I should order takeout instead weights trying to lose weight, so I should not or should I. When you notice your mind wandering like this simply pull the focus back to the breath. This is how you train your mindfulness muscle

Now most people who meditate for the first time will find it extremely hard to focus on just the breath for even a couple of seconds. They will find themselves lost and dart quite often this is totally normal. So don’t criticize yourself if it happens which it probably will all you have to do is simply bring your attention back to your breathing. A good trick that I personally use to quickly bring my focus back is to focus all of my attention on the little bridge between inhale and exhale. That little pause where your body transitions during its act of breathing.

While meditating try as hard as possible to avoid moving. Itches and urges the fidgit will arise throughout your meditation session this is normal, this is expected. Simply bring your focus back to your breath and the feeling will eventually go away and that all there is to it.

It’s a very simple exercise. What important to note is how often you work on it and how much time you put into it by making ita habit. You notice that you will able to have your entire focus on breath for longer and longer periods of time. Think of this as your mindfulness muscle getting stronger and stronger

How often should I meditate?

In order to really start seeing the benefits of meditation, you should meditate on a daily basis. Some people like to do it twice a day like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Who does it 20 minutes a day when he wakes up and 20 minutes right before he goes to bed. As long as you make it into a daily habit that is the most important factor. Just meditate yourself and stay healthy.

1 Like

How is meditation different from Yoga, and which one should i learn as a beginner?

Meditation is the part of yoga. meditation has many techniques that used for relaxation of mind or calm your mind. I preferred you to start from mediation. once the mind is on peace then everything is on peace. you can get the complete guidance in the above-mentioned article.
you can get the best tips of meditation for beginners, how to do meditate, how to sit during meditating, main types of meditation, and many more that help you a lot to make meditate a habit.
These are the main meditation techniques by @Miketaylor

1. mindfulness meditation
  2. spiritual meditation
  3. focused meditation
  4. movement meditation
  5. mantra meditation
  6. transcendental meditation

you have to follow all my guidance and Mike. You will learn a lot of thing. Thanks

Can we practise meditating while engaged in simple chores ? Do I need to be still while meditating?

1 Like