What Is Inspect Element?
Inspect Element is a go-to feature for almost every frontend or a UI developer for debugging UI errors or making temporary edits in HTML or CSS scripts. For Chrome and Firefox browsers, this feature is pre-enabled and can be viewed with a right-click. However, the same feature needs to be enabled first for Safari users operating on a Mac before they can start inspecting web elements.
Inspecting Elements on Mac-Safari
To Inspect Element on Mac, follow the steps below:
- The primary step is to enable the Developer menu. To do so, open the Safari browser, click on Safari -> Preferences.
- Click on Advanced. Check the Show Develop menu in the menu bar checkbox. Doing this also allows you to Inspect Elements on iPhones by connecting them.
- The Inspect Element feature is now enabled. To cross-check, one can simply open any URL in Safari and right-click the mouse button to check if the option is enabled.
How to Inspect Element on Chrome
Here is the quickest way to inspect elements on Chrome and alter a website’s appearance. Let’s take a look!
Getting to Know the Element Panel in Chrome
Element panel is a feature in the chrome developer tools that allows you to inspect and modify a site from the front-end. It’s used to change the appearance and content of a web page by editing its CSS and HTML files.
Accessing element panel from Google Chrome is quite easy. All you do is head to the upper right side of your screen and click on the Menu bar -> More tools -> Developer tools.
Once an element box opens, you’ll see that it’s divided into three different parts. Here’s a little breakdown of each part:
- DOM panel is a tool used to change the page layout. You’ll have full control of HTML files and can modify them freely. It’s located in the upper part of the box under Elements.
- CSS panel can be used to modify the style rules of a homepage by changing, adding, or removing CSS properties — fonts, sizes, and colors are some of the examples. You can find this panel in the middle part under Styles.
- Console panel will show you what’s new in developer tools. It’s in the bottom part of the element box.
What Can You Do With It?
Here are a few things you can do with DOM and CSS panels:
- CSS live-editing — allows you to see the changes you make immediately as you edit in CSS panel.
- Layout testing — lets you test different layouts on a website before making permanent changes from the backend.
- Diagnosing debug — enables you to see if there’s any broken code on your site.
- Temporary editing — allows you to tweak around the web page freely as every change made in it is temporary and only applies to your browser.
Why Do You Need to Inspect Element?
Inspect element can be an excellent solution for people who need to make temporary changes on a web page without a fuss. Moreover, it also offers other benefits, such as:
- Content writers — digital writers who need to take a screenshot of a webpage that contains sensitive information can use the inspect element to remove it.
- Web designers — this feature can be really handy to see how certain design and layout changes would look like before implementing them on a web page.
- Digital marketers — inspect element allows users to see hidden keywords on a website so digital marketers may use this feature to their advantage on their competitor’s web page.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the shortcut for the inspect element on a Mac?
To open / switch from inspect element mode and browser window , you can do: On Mac - ⌘ + Shift + C. On Windows / Linux - Ctrl + Shift + C OR F12 .
2. How do you inspect on a Mac 2020?
To enable the " Inspect Element" option, enable “Show Developer Menu” in Safari’s Preferences—>Advanced tab. Then right-click on the page to inspect.
3. How do I turn on inspect?
To enable Developer Tools, press F12. Or, go to the Tools menu and select Developer Tools. To display the Tools menu, press Alt+X. To inspect elements on a web page, right-click the page, then select Inspect Element.
4. Can websites see if you inspect element?
No. There’s no built-in way for them to detect this - at least not normally. All the changes you make are occurring in your browser only. … In HTML is very simple to go to any websites in a browser and manipulate the inspection elements to update a website live.
5. Is inspect element HTML?
Inspect element is one of the developer tools incorporated into the Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer web browsers. By accessing this tool, you can actually view — and even edit — the HTML and CSS source code behind the web content.
6. Can you inspect the element a PDF?
When PDFs are linked to that page, yes you can use the inspect element. Open inspect element and find(Ctrl+f) . pdf. Then you will see all the linked PDF file sources.
7. How do I move to inspect element to bottom?
If the docking is like a single box icon, just click on it to toggle the inspect element between bottom and right. If the docking icon is like double box icon , press the icon ,hold it and then move the cursor to the single box icon(which appears shortly after pressing the icon).