Water sports played in or on water, like surfing, swimming, water polo, fishing and sailing.
Excitement of enjoying the deep blue water, cool wind blowing and fun filled water sports give us happiness. Some of them are dangerous or extreme, while some can be relaxing and energizing. But it has universal appeal. While it is individual water sports or team sports.
Top 10 Water Sports
Individual water sports and team water sports both are in top 10 water sports. individual water sports are swimming, surfing, water skiing, diving, skateboarding, scuba diving, wake boarding and jet ski. While team water sports are water polo, rowing, sailing and fishing.
How to Swim? is a question arise in mind of beginners and the answer is “Moving through water by using the arms, legs, and body in motions called strokes, backstroke, breaststroke, and crawl”. Swimming competition is world’s most popular sports.
Swimming is the sport of all the continents including Antarctica. People swim in Antarctica too, to watch who can stay in the -1.9°C water the longest, and who can swim the fastest and do many other things.
Diving is the act of falling steeply into water, usually off a diving board, by performing airborne acrobatics before entering the water.
3. Water skiing
Activity in which people are pulled behind a motorized boat with skis attached to their feet I called water skiing. Slalom (skier passes buoys), trick (skier performs tricks), jump (skier is propelled off ramp to maximize distance in air), and race (powerboat with skier behind), barefoot skiing, wake boarding and knee boarding are types of water skiing.
Riding on waves is called surfing. People surf by lying, kneeling, or standing on a surfboard, however, also surf with just their body known as body surfing, or with a sail attached to the board is called windsurfing, based on the wave’s size, the distance ridden, and the quality of their skillful moves.
5. Scuba diving
People who love the beauty of the sea, and love to watch life under the water in the deep way, scuba diving is the right sport for them. In a sunny morning jump in the sea swim with fishes, watch those sea creatures that are hard to get visible in artificial aquarium.
Watching marine plants and animals right in the ocean, and take part in the protection of marine animals and plants.
6. Wake boarding
In this game we stand on a board called a wake board and be dragged by the yacht on the water, it usually has a small, narrow rectangle, with a pair of shoes fixed on the board, extremely easy to play, does not require too much effort. Wake boarding is a sport that cannot be played alone.
7. Jet ski
This sport is for those who love sailing in particular and love water sports in general. In particular, jet ski is only fun when playing together with two or more peoples.
It is an interesting activity that needs to be tested at least once in a lifetime. Where there is only a companion, cloud of water and wind, sit on a boat and surf.
Catching fish for sport or food is called fishing. Specific game fish, such as trout, tarpon, and bass are involved in competition and tournaments. Cash awards and prizes are given for various categories, including biggest fish catcher, first fish catcher and most fishes catcher. Bass, Catfish, Brim, Pike, Crappie, and Trout are some common fishes. They can grow to huge lengths, taste good. Bass and Catfish grow so big and taste very good. It has been around since before the Greeks, one of the oldest water sport.
Moving across water in a vessel powered by wind is known as sailing. Closed-course (small lakes), coast (large lakes, inland waters) and ocean are main types of competition. Competing vessels navigate over open sea in ocean racing.
Moving a boat through water by using oars by a method known as Rowing. World competition of this game held annually in Oxford, England.
New Water Sports
New water sports are fun, adventurous and exciting. These water activities are;
Horse surfing, snorkeling with whales, kayak surfing, scuba diving, sea walking, underwater hockey, underwater scooting, free-diving, fly-board flying, jet surfing, surf skiing, cliff diving, canyoning, wake skating, SUP yoga and jet boating. Some of them are very challenging and thrilling but nowadays these water sports are very popular.
Health benefits of water sports
- Swimming will facilitate the use of the affected joints without worsening the symptoms. It is a treatment for people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
- Water sports are good for body as well good for mind. It reduces Stress, depression and anxiety and improves mental health.
- Water sports helps in lower stress level which is good for heart and body, it reduces risk of heart diseases and diabetes.
- Water sports helps in burning calories, it increases metabolism rate which helpful in staying healthy.
Guidelines for Water Sports Operators
Individuals who wish to start a water sports business must follow these guidelines:
- Water sports operators desirous to carry out water sports must have established their physical offices.
- Must have license from regulator before undertaking any water sports activities.
- Qualified staff to conduct respective water sports activities.
- Maintain record of their customers or clients for whom they organize such activities and provide it to relevant authorities whenever asked.
- Must be registered boats used for transportation of customers and water sports activities.
- Relevant license mandatory for boat crew. Number of boat crew may vary with size of boat.
- Required number of life jackets for its passengers and crew.
- Number of passengers in the boat should
not exceed as authorized in the license.
- Water sports operators should always conduct weather assessment before initiating
Water sports Equipment
Boats used in water sports activities must have safety equipment such as:
- Life buoys
- Fire Extinguisher
- Signaling device (e.g. whistle, torch, lantern, glow stick etc.)
- First Aid kit. A first aid kit on boats should contain the following
- To prevent or treat motion sickness, indigestion, diarrhea, or heartburn stomach remedies.
- For allergic reactions antihistamines.
- Insect repellant
- Cream or lotion for treating insect bites, sunburn, and other minor skin irritations.
- Pain/fever reducers, aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen.
- Adhesive bandages
- Butterfly bandages and narrow adhesive strips, for gaping cuts.
- To control bleeding sterile gauze pads.
- To hold a dressing hypoallergenic adhesive tape.
- Cotton rolls
- Sterile roller bandageds
- Eye drops
- To induce vomiting syrup of Ipecac ( on recommendation of medical personnel).
- For cleansing wounds antiseptic ointments.
- To prevent infection of minor wounds antibiotic ointments.
- For rinsing wounds bottled water.
- Small and large clean towels to control bleeding.
- Ice packs
Water sports have lots of health benefits such as it reduce the risk of heart diseases and diabetes, helps in controlling weight by burning calories, improves mental health and reduce stress, depression and anxiety. Nowadays popular water sports in the world are, Scuba diving, waterskiing, water surfing, wakeboarding and jet ski.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the importance of water sports?
Water sports is good for the body same as other sports. It also improves the mental health. The calmness of water reduces stress, anxiety and depression. Swimming helps in improving the mood in both men and women.
2. What is the most popular water sport?
One of the most popular water sports is sailing and kite surfing. Sailing is easy and depending upon the waves, coastline, wind. Kite surfing is a sport that every active person can learn nowadays.
3. What are the examples of extreme sports?
Extreme sports are action sports and there events characterized by high speeds and high risk. these high risk sports are skateboarding, freestyle skiing, snowboarding, in-line roller-skating and BMX and mountain biking.
Sports which are played in or on water are water sports. There are two types of water sports, Individual and Team water sports. Swimming, water skiing, diving and surfing are individual type while fishing, sailing and rowing are team water sports.
Water sports have lots of health benefits such as it reduce the risk of heart diseases and diabetes, helps in controlling weight by burning calories, improves mental health and reduce stress, depression and anxiety.
Nowadays popular water sports in the world are, Scuba diving, waterskiing, water surfing, wakeboarding and jet ski.
Guidelines for water sports operators, they must be licensed, registered and have qualified staff. Must have registered boat and maintain record of their clients.
Boats used in water sports must have first aid equipments such as, pain killer, antibiotic and antiseptic ointments, antihistamines, thermometer, eye drops, clean towels, ice packs and etc.