How to get bigger wrists? It is somewhat very difficult to increase the size of wrists. It takes a lot of time and hard work, but results are minimal. By exercising your forearm, you will get slightly bigger wrist.
WHAT IS WRIST?
The word wrist taken from the ancient German word “wristiz”, from which the modern German word “rist” and modern Swedish word “vrist” are derived. In human anatomy, wrist can be defined three ways: (1) Wrist joint is the anatomical region which surrounds the carpus including the proximal parts of the metacarpus or five metacarpal bones and the distal parts of the bone of the forearm and the series of joints between these bones. (2) The carpal bones or carpus, the complex of eight bones forming the proximal skeletal segment of the hand. (3) The join between the radius and the carpus is referred as wrist joint, also known as “radiocarpal joint”. The wrist joint is an ellipsoid joint (condyloid joint) formed by the radius and the articular disc proximally and the proximal row of carpal bones distally. The joint is formed by the lower end of the radius and under surface of the articular disc above and the lunate, the scaphoid and triquetral bones below.
A total of 13 bones are present from the part of wrist which include eight carpal bones and five metacarpal bones.
These are the eight small bones that joins together to form wrist (or carpus); it connects the hand to the forearm. The carpus word is derived the Greek word “Karpos”, which means “wrist”. The eight bones of carpus are: lunate, scaphoid, triquetral, pisiform, trapezoid, trapezium, hamate, and capitate.
The metacarpus or metacarpal bones, in human anatomy, forms the intermediate part of skeletal hand present between the phalanges and the carpal bones of the wrist. The metacarpal bones are similar to the metatarsal bones in the foot. The five metacarpal bones are said as first, second, third, fourth and fifth metacarpal bones.
WHY DO SOME PEOPLE HAVE SMALLER WRISTS
Every human being has different body type form others and these body types are good for different purposes. Similarly, each person has different wrist sizes ranging from very small to very big. Why do some people have smaller wrists? The reason is; we all have different body builds or sizes; we all are genetically different; i.e. transfer of genes or hereditary material from parents to their off springs. Like other body parts, wrists bone structure is somewhat similar to parents. Moreover, this wrists bone structure defines the size of wrist. Therefore, these small wrists are genetically inherited and you were born with it.
Another reason for smaller wrists is the unbalanced diet. Imbalance nutrition leads to the tiredness, stress, can develop the risk of illness, and some other health problems like overweight or underweight. Choosing the right food is the basic thing to improve your health. Sugars, excessive alcohols, lack of protein, and over consumption of omega-6 fatty acids lead to the muscle and joint weakness, and inflammation. The nutrition that can reduce pain include whole grain, vegetables, poultry, almonds and other nuts, legumes (pulses, beans, lentils, and chickpeas), spices (garlic, turmeric and cinnamon), olive oil, potatoes, turnips and green tea.
If you are having thin wrists that means your body frame is small as well. Due to this, the muscles will be smaller too. This is something obvious that thin wrists can have a negative impact on overall strength of the body. The champion bodybuilder Steve Reeves came up with the method of calculating the wrists arm proportions for bodybuilding. He said that the competitive arm size for bodybuilding should be at least 252% of the wrist size.
STRUGGLES FOR PEOPLE HAVING THIN WRISTS
Some challenges for the people having skinnier wrists are mentioned below:
• You have smaller wrists, and when you wear leather strapped watches, you always have to use the hole nearest to the watch dial. When you wear bracelets or band on your wrist, but the tail appears so long because you will need to pull your wrist band so tightly that an extra portion is left out.
• The first thing people mostly notice about your build is your arms, or long thin legs. People place their thumb and index finger around your wrists, wrap it with their fingers, and make fun of your skinny wrists.
• Another worst situation for these people is that when they buy an expensive piece of jewelry for your thin wrists, but it never fits you. Therefore, sadly, you have to buy jewelry from kids section because that is the closest size to yours.
• You can never wear baggy sleeves styled shirt, because it will look oversized on you.
• Push-ups, yoga and any other exercise that depends that depends on your wrists holding you up is a BIG NO. This will only hurt your wrist and will only cause ache.
• And, when you want a wrist tattoo, you make sure that it must be smaller in size so that it actually fits on your wrist.
STRETCHES FOR WRISTS
Our hands perform variety of tasks every day, from writing on a paper to gripping a steering wheel. These repetitive motions can create weakness and slight pain in wrists and fingers. Doing simple exercises can help prevent injury. This can make your wrists stronger, fingers, and hands more flexible. Stretching is one of those exercises; it eases slight pain in wrists. Wrists stretching is very simple exercise that you can even do at your desk at work.
• While seating at chair, place your palms face up under your desk.
• Press upwards against the bottom of the desk.
Hold for a few seconds.
• Extend your arm along with your palm facing up towards the ceiling.
• With your free hand, gently press your fingers down toward the floor.
• Pull your fingers back toward your body.
• Hold for 10 to 20 seconds.
PRAYING POSITION STRETCHES
• Stand and place your palms together in a praying position: such that your hands should be in front of your face and your elbows touch each other.
• Slowly spread your elbows apart, while your palms are still pressed together. Lower your hands to waist height.
• Stop when your hands are in the level of your belly button and your feel the stretch.
• Hold on this position for 10 to 30 seconds, than repeat this exercise.
• Make a fist and point your thumb up, just like a thumbs-up sign.
• Create resistance with your thumb and hand muscles to keep your thumb from moving.
• Gently pull back on your thumb with your free hand.
• Hold for few seconds and repeat.
HOW TO MEASURE WRIST SIZE
Measuring your wrist size is not a big task; you can even do it at your home. By taking the following steps, you can measure you wrist size:
• Wrap a tape around your wrist.
• When it completes a circle around your wrist, then mark the tape where it overlaps.
• Check the reading of the marked section of the tape.
• Compare your reading (measurement) with size chart to determine your wrist size.
If your do not have the tape and size chart then you can go through another easy method to measure your bracelet size:
• Wrap a string around your wrist.
• Run around until it covers full circumference of your wrist.
• Mark where it meets the other end of the string.
• Remove the string from your wrist and you can now straighten out the string.
• Measure the length by placing it against a ruler. This length is actually the size of your wrists.
If you are thin boned person, than your measurement readings would not go beyond 6.6 inches.
HOW TO GET BIGGER WRISTS?
Having thin wrist is may be something a male athlete hate about himself. When you have smaller wrists, most probably you will also have thin forearms, and smaller hands. It is quite difficult to bigger your wrists size, but it is not impossible. You can do wrists and forearm exercises at the gym or at home. Some people use exercise tools or weights, but it is also possible to increase your wrist size without weights.
WRISTS STRENGTHENING EXERCISES WITH TOOLS
Here are the wrists strengthening exercise tools that helps to make your wrists stronger and larger.
- Dumbbells or kettlebells
- Hand grips
- Pull-up bar
- Resistant bands
- Sand bag
1) DUMBELL OR KETTLEBELLS
Dumbbell is an equipment used for weight training. It consists of two metal balls connected by a short bar or rod, which serves as a handle. It is used for joint isolation exercise. While kettlebell is a cast steel or cast iron ball with a handle attached to the top. This resembles a cannon ball with a handle. Kettlebell exercises build strength and increase grip. Both, the dumbbells and kettlebells have a big range of different weights, which people use in gyms to build up their muscles.
2. HAND GRIPS
Handgrips, or hand grippers, are used for increasing the strength of wrists. It is a torsion spring attached with two handles. The spring is made of various kinds of steel, depending upon different brands, and handles are made from plastic, steel, wood or aluminum. Hand grippers come in a range of strengths, suitable for everyone, from beginner to the strongest person. It is held in one hand and squeezed the two handles together until they touch. Then, these handles are released and the movement is repeated. This makes the forearms look bigger and impressive.
3. PULL-UP BAR
Hang yourself onto a pull-up bar with your palms, and then pull yourself up until your chin is above the bar. It not only strengthen the muscles of wrists but also it strengthen arm, shoulders and back muscles. It improves the grip strength. This is one of the simplest exercises for the beginners. Just start by hanging from pull-up bar 20 to 30 seconds, and then increase this time after few days. This exercise has a variety of types. It can be standard, weighted, one arm, commando pull-up, behind-the-neck pull-up, one hand, kipping, sternum chin, extended-leg pull-up, muscle-up, and inclined pull-up.
The resistant bands are elastic bands, used for strength exercises. They are also used in physiotherapy, mostly for muscular injuries. The bands are colored coded, which show different levels of resistant, people select an appropriate level according to their strength. The bands are very light weighted and are easily portable. Types of resistant bands are compact resistance band, therapy band, ring resistance band, fit loop band, lateral resistance band and figure-8 band.
5. SAND BAG
With a sandbag, the centre of gravity always shifts, because the sand moves back and forth, this builds the stability. The plus point for this exercise is that, sandbags are affordable; you always have an option for a homemade sandbag. It can be done anywhere in the gym, home, garage or outdoor.
WRISTS STREGHTENING EXERCISES WITHOUT TOOLS
Wrists can also be strengthen without using tools or weights. Wrists can get bigger by the exercises like:
- Knuckle push-ups
- Yoga poses
1) KNUCKLE PUSH-UPS
Knuckle push-up is a great way to make your wrists stronger and bigger at home. A knuckle push-up is a type of push-up that you do with your fists closed, while simple push-up is where your hands are open and your palms rest on the floor. Take the position with your knuckles resting on the ground and bring your chest closer to the ground. You will feel the force that will work your forearm. Keep this position for few seconds and repeat the exercise.
2. YOGA POSES
Start with the basic yoga poses such as “downward facing dog”, “upward-facing dog”, “plank pose” and “side-plank pose”. All these poses place approximately half of your body weight on your wrists and hands. Advanced yoga poses, such as “side crane”, “crow”, “crane”, and “peacock”, put your entire body weight on your wrists. These exercises help in making the wrists stronger and bigger.
Stretches ease the pain in muscles of wrists. Doing simple stretches strengthen the wrist bone. Well, stretching exercises are discussed above.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Can wrists get smaller?
By losing weight, our wrists, thumb and fingers get smaller. Eat a little fats and do more exercise will help to shrink down your wrists and fingers fats. Typing can be one of such exercises; it burn calories. Another exercise is, make a fist, squeeze it tightly, and slowly release one finger at a time. Repeat the action for 5 to 10 minutes.
How can you hide your thin wrists?
Well, not everyone notice your small wrists. To hide your thin wrists you can wear long sleeves shirt.
How to get bigger wrist? Well, it is difficult to bigger your wrist bone, it takes many efforts, but the result is minimal. Your smaller wrists are inherited genetically from your parents. There are some exercises using tools or without using them that make your wrist bone stronger and increase your wrist size.