Big Brother In Chinese

Big Brother In Chinese is 大哥 Dà gē; more fluently or casually, they may also call them 哥哥 gēge.

Big Brother In Chinese

Some people may find this word difficult to pronounce, but this is Chinese; what can you expect? Calling out your big brother in Chinese by your name is disrespectful in china. Parents teach their kids these words so that they don’t become disrespectful.

What does “big brother” in Chinese means?

Big brother is called Ge gē or Da ge in Chinese. Also, there are two meanings for big brother in Chinese if you search on Google.

Note: You will get two different words. One is gege discussed above while the second one is dede.

Dede is a word commonly used in china for Young brother by an elder or big brother.

Yes, in china, some people can not call their brother by name, as seen in many countries and religions. Instead, China people use terms that are traditionally used throughout centuries.

Gege is a Chinese language Word that has two different meanings in English.

Two Different Meaning Of Word 哥哥 · gēge

The meaning of the word 哥哥 · gēge is big brother. It is used respectfully for Elder brother, and you may refer to this term as someone who may be like a brother to you. Its first meaning is to show respect to a big older adult who is your brother or like your brother.

Secondly, the word may mean someone is very dear to you, and you’re giving him respect for good. However, it is not necessary that he may be your big brother. The word second meaning is specific to the person who is just a stranger but has developed a connection in the short time you feel like he’s someone from your family.

Difference between Gege and Dage:

Both are Chinese words that are used for brother. One is used respectfully, and the other is used casually. There are a lot of other terms that may be used to represent Big brother in Chinese.

But we will only go deep on these two words: Gege and dage.

Word dage or gege
English meaning Big brother
Language Chinese
Usage for Aged one, Older people, big brother

1. Difference in Usage

First of all, dage is used for big brother. The word may sometimes refer to the younger brother because it is not specific to the older brother.

For example, If a child is Younger but acts like a good brother to some people who may be older or not may call him big brother although he is not one.

Secondly, Gege is specific for only older brothers; you can only say that word to a brother. Who may be your blood brother or not? It Doesn’t matter. But someone who has been with you since you were born.

2. The difference in Chinese language Family

Chinese is a Broad level language that divides into many subcategories (Dialects) into different zones and regions.

Summary

For example, Mandarin and Cantonese are two different dialects of the Chinese language.
A lot vastly speak Mandarin or Chinese as compared to Cantonese.In Mandarin Chinese, the big brother is called Guh Guh or Gege.Whereas in Cantonese big brother is called Gor gor.

Pronunciation

How would you say big brother in Chinese? How could it be pronounced?

As a semantics major, I should utilize IPA, yet I understand my IPA needs work, and only some people are prepared for IPA.

However, here to help, I’ll give both of you pronunciation:

Cantonese Gor gor

Cantonese (Taishanese is comparable): gor. It nearly seems like a milder “Carnage” (as in Al Gore) with a heavier articulation on “or”.

Mandarin: guh Guh

You need to relinquish the second strong under re/duplication in the two tongues.

In Chinese (and surprisingly English), there’s a longing to combine a solitary syllable to make it “entirety”. Entirely satisfactory to preclude in the discussion.

In Chinese, we repeat the word by “mellowing” the tone, or nonpartisan tone. English’s most straightforward models are “mom” and “father.”

As a joke memory aide, you can somewhat think, “googoo gahgah”. GorgorGuhguh.

Assuming you need to recognize a particular brother additionally. He can be the most seasoned or a numbered brother (if you have numerous older brothers).

Summary

In Chinese, there are discrete words to recognize somebody older than you and more youthful than you. We don’t normally recognize a blood/stepbrother or a “brother”.

Frequently asked questions

Here are some frequently asked questions related to the article big brother in Chinese.

1. How would you say Big Brother in English?

It’s a right (and normal) use. All through America, local speakers will, in general, say “big brother” to signify “elder brother”. (I would recommend that “big brother” is undeniably more normal than “older brother”, which is more normal than “elder brother”, all importance the same thing.)

2. What’s the significance here when a young Chinese lady calls you brother?

At the point when a young Chinese lady alludes to you as big brother (Dàgē or gēgē), it means she has no heartfelt interest in you, and it’s an amenable method to dismiss you; however, she trusts that you and she can be companions.

3. What Gege implies?

In Chinese, “gege” (哥哥) realistically implies big brother. In any case, that is, for the most part, for brother in blood. Moreover, for Chinese girls, calling a male companion “gege” will complicate their kinship.

4. What does Bao Bei mean in Chinese?

The most generally utilized significance of Baobei is like “child” in English; it’s utilized to allude to a sweetheart or a little youngster. Between two darlings, “宝贝” generally refers to the female party instead of the male. You can likewise call a little youngster “宝贝” to show your affection.

5. Is It older or elder brother?

Fundamentally, they are something very similar. However, there is a slight distinction in their importance. When alluding to somebody who is older than you in your family or somebody who has a cosy relationship with you, you should utilize “elder”. The standard relative and standout types of old are older and oldest: •My brother is older than me.

6. What do we call elder brother?

If the dad is your dad, his brother is your uncle, and his sister is your aunt. It doesn’t matter if the brother is older or more youthful than your dad. You can, in any case, call him uncle.

7. Is It my eldest or oldest?

Elder and eldest mean equivalent to older and oldest. We utilize the descriptors elder and eldest before a thing (as attributive modifiers), and typically when discussing connections inside a family: Let me present Siga. She’s my elder sister.

8. What is the distinction between older and more youthful?

While more youthful means more youthful, elder means older. The terms more youthful and elder are additionally usually utilized, corresponding to kin. The terms are utilized to recognize the periods of the kin. At the same time, the kin older than the other is viewed as the elder kin, or elder sister or brother.

9. What is thank you in Cantonese?

Conceptual. While in English, there is just a single principal method of expressing gratitude toward somebody utilizing the expression ‘thank-you’ or one of its variations (for example ‘, much obliged’, ‘ta’), in Hong Kong Cantonese, there are two expressions, m4-goi1 and do1-ze6, the two of which could be meant English as 'bless your heart.

10. What does Gor mean in Chinese?

Lovingly known as “Gor”, which means more seasoned sibling in Cantonese, Cheung stunned Chinese people grouped throughout the planet when he leapt to his demise on April 1, 2003.

Conclusion

Meaning of the word 哥哥 · Dage is big brother. It is used respectfully for Elder brother; you may refer to this term as someone who may be like a brother to you. Its first meaning is to show respect to a big older adult who is your brother or your brother.

Gege is specific for only older brothers; you can only say that word to a brother. Who may be your blood brother or not? It Doesn’t matter. But someone who has been with you since you were born.

While dage is mostly used for older brothers, these terms are specific for them. But have the same meaning as that of gege.

Both are Chinese words that are used for brother. One is used respectfully, and the other is used casually. There are a lot of other terms that may be used to represent Big brother in China.

Related articles

What time is it in China

What Does Senpai Mean

How to learn Japanese

My love in Chinese