Mark Hamill before and after accident! Mark Hamill got into a car accident on January 11, 1977. The accident remained a mystery among his fans. The accident broke his nose and cheekbone. No exact information ever found about this damage.
Mark Richard Hamill was born on September 15, 1951, in Oakland, California, United States. He is now 69 years old. He is an American actor, writer and voice actor. His father, William Thomas Hamill, was a captain in United States Navy. Mark Hamill is well known for playing the character of “Luke Skywalker” in the film series “Star Wars”, a series created by George Lucas. He won three “Saturn Awards” for his wonderful performance in this play. Other than this, he also won 9 different awards. He also appeared in several theatre plays, early during the 1980s. As a very creative voice actor, he has portrayed many characters in numerous animated films, video games and T.V series. His vocal interpretation as The Joker, a supervillain character, on “Batman: The Animated Series” is also the reason of his fame. He played the same character of the Joker in eight different series in;
• Batman: The Animated Series (1992)
• Superman: The Animated Series (1996)
• The New Batman Adventures (1997)
• Static Shock (2000)
• Justice League (2001)
• Birds of Prey (2002)
• Robot Chicken (2005)
• Justice League Action (2016)
Hamill is a big fan of Laurel and Hardy, comedy duo of early classical Hollywood era of American cinema. Hamill is married to Marylou York; he met her when she was his dental hygienist. They have 3 children; Nathan Elias, Griffin Tobias and Chelsea Elizabeth.
BEGINNING OF HIS CAREER
Mark Hamill started his career as a supporting actor in the soap opera “General Hospital”. This soap is listed in Guinness World records as the longest running American soap opera. He also did a starring role on the sitcom “The Texas Wheelers”. In early period of his career, he also had guest appearances in many plays like The Partridge Family, The Bill Cosby Show, Room 222 and One Day at a Time.
WORK OF MARK HAMILL
Mark Hamill did a great work in plenty of films, video games, and television series. He also gave his voice to several characters. Some of his famous work is written below:
WORK AS AN ACTOR
- Star Wars (Luke Skywalker - 1977)
- Fall of Eagles (Peter Froehlich - 1989)
- Sleepwalkers (Lt. Jennings - 1992)
- Thank You, Good Night (Karl - 2001)
- Con Man (Robert Minkow - 2018)
- Headmaster (Allen - 1970)
- The Texas Wheelers (Doobie Wheeler - 1974-1975)
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Denny Carlyle - 1987)
- When Time Expires (Bill Thermot - 1997)
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 (P.T. Mindslap - 2017)
AS A VOICE ACTOR
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (The Joker - 1993)
- Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders (Steve - 2000)
- Through the Moebius (Strip Simon Weir - 2005)
- Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League: Attack of the Legion of Doom (The Trickster / Sinestro - 2015)
- Howard Lovecraft and the Kingdom of Madness (Dr. Henry Armitage - 2018)
- The Legend of Prince Valiant (King Weldon - 1992)
- Adventures from the Book of Virtues (Theseus / Saint George / Various characters - 1996)
- The Powerpuff Girls (Criminal / Cop #1 / Cat - 1999)
- Rick & Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple in All the World (Saul - 2008)
- The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (Himself / Captain Great Guy - 2019)
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (Detective Mosely / Jeep Driver - 1993)
- Codename: Kids Next Door – Operation: V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E. (Stickybeard - 2005)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender – Into the Inferno (Fire Lord Ozai - 2008)
- Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet (Red Skull - 2011)
- Lego DC Super-Villains (The Joker / Trickster - 2018)
Other than these, he also worked on theatre, his popular stage shows include, The Elephant Man, Room Service, The Nerd, Six Dance Lessons In Six Weeks, Amadeus and Harrigan 'N Hart.
MARK HAMILL ACCIDENT
His car accident held on January 11, 1977, four months before the release of Star Wars. Hamill got into a horrible accident which fractured his nose and cheekbone of left side. The accident is still a mystery among the people. No exact detail about accident was found because Hamill himself never talk, in detail, about the damage; he was an unknown actor at that time who just started his career. This all happened before anyone knew who actually Mark Hamill was.
The accident took place in Southern California. He was driving his BMW, very fast on the highway while listening to Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. He tried to get onto an off-ramp but he lost control of his car and went off-road. He survived the accident but as a result of accident, he got many injuries. Surgeon repaired much of his injuries; they used cartilage from his ear to rebuild his nose, so his nose looks slightly different than before. A comedy film “Corvette Summer” was released only six month later the accident, this movie is the evident of Hamill’s changed appearance.
Many people thought that his movie Star Wars will be flop due to the accident but when “Star Wars: A New Hope” released on May 25, 1977, it broke box office records and gave popularity to every character — especially Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. He became an overnight sensation all over the world. Then people got to know about his accident.
MARK’S WORDS ABOUT HIS CAR ACCIDENT
He never gave any single clear statement regarding his accident. He always tried to avoid talking about this dreadful car crash. Some believe Hamill wore heavy make-up to hide his injuries during the shoot. Some of his variant statements are his fearful car accident are given below:
• Once Hamill said that that:
“I just woke up, and I was in the hospital, and I knew that I had hurt myself very badly. And then someone held a mirror up to my face, and I just felt that my career was over".
• He further said in his one interview that only his nose and cheekbone required minor reconstructive surgery.
• He clarified that he was driving his BMW, because there were some rumors that he actually drove Corvette.
• According to an unknown source, Mark Hamill himself said that: “I only broke my nose and that’s it”.
• In 1978, his interview was published in magazine in which Hamill said:
“I was travelling on the wrong highway and there were no cars and traffic. I was driving at 65-70 mph and was going too fast. I tried to get onto an off-ramp but lost control, tumbled over and went off the road. In the result of this, I damaged my nose and cheek".
• He further said that he had to have cartilage taken from his ear to reconstruct his nose, so a little bit change will be visible in his nose.
• Hamill said that the next day he was supposed to do some shoot for “A New Hope”.
• In Gossip Magazine, in 1973, he claimed, “My nose and cheek are fractured”.
CARRIE FISHER ABOUT MARK’S ACCIDENT
Carrie Frances Fisher was born on October 21, 1956 and died on December 27, 2016. She was an American actress and a brilliant writer. She played Princess Leia in the Star Wars series.
After the death of Fisher, Hamill stated that he was devastated and has struggled with his loss. There was a comfortable and unique bond between them. He said that: “We became like real siblings over the years”.
When Hamill’s accident took place, Fisher felt sorrow and stated that:
“I was still shooting ‘Star Wars’ when Mark got into the car accident. It was a really bad accident. Miraculously his teeth didn’t shatter. But his nose did. He had to have some of his ear put into his nose. So they adjusted the film with this snow monster to right away in the movie scratch his face to account for his looks being different.”
SUMMARY: Hamill’s accident took place on January 11, 1977. He was almost died in this terrifying accident. His accident is still an unsolved mystery. He got injuries on his nose and cheekbone. Even the partial reconstruction of his face, he became one of the best known celebrities.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Some frequently asked questions regarding Make Hamill before and after accident are:
How much did Mark Hamill get paid for Star Wars?
Hamill played a leading role in Star Wars film. He was paid $650,000 for his character Luke Skywalker in the film.
Is Mark Hamill The Joker?
Since the '90s, Hamill has played the role of the Joker many times in movies, TV shows, and video games.
Mark Richard Hamill, a great Hollywood actor, met a fatal accident on January 11, 1977. The accident held prior to the release of his first movie “Star Wars”. The car accident itself was somewhat of a mystery because he never liked to talk about his accident. Accident fractured his left cheekbone and nose, which was restored by surgeons. Slight difference in his appearance was mainly in his nose. Despite the change of appearance, Mark Hamill has become one of the most recognized actors in the world.