WHAT ARE 7 REASONS TO VISIT ICELAND?

Island. It’s a nation with horses, northern lights, unpredictable volcanoes, a stunning waterfall, craggy mountains, and otherworldly landscapes. It’s like an unforgettable land of shelters. To me, it’s one of Earth’s most lovely locations. How can such a small island be so diverse and lovely?

It switches from green areas, snowy mountains, and sparkling glaciers to the appearance of Mars every few feet. It never ceases to amaze me. When I first visited, I had high hopes. I saw films and pictures on the land of jagged mountain tops, lava-desolated volcanoes, grass-rolling hills, and glaciers extending for kilometers.

All of these requirements were met by Iceland. Now when I don’t visit, a year doesn’t go by (see you in September again!). Of course, tourism has exploded in recent years, and it has become much more expensive, but in the south near Reykjavik, most of the tourists concentrate. You’re just you and nature once you leave the capital city (I have only seen three visitors during my week in the West Fjords… during the peak season)!

So here are my favorite things to see and do in Iceland, in honor of the Iceland guide I have just published today, that will persuade you to book your ticket:

1. Reykjavík Visit

The trendy capital is packed with flourishing cafés, strong clubs, welcoming pubs, and a shining old town with rows of wooden houses. It’s like a big little village rather than a town. While it’s super tiny, it takes a few more days to get a real feel for the city’s art and coffee culture. And you will enjoy the party life (Icelanders are able to drink) if you are an owl in the night. That spot, I love, and I never get bored. Reykjavik sucks me during a visit, from reading in cafés to walking along the seashore to drinking with my friends.

2. Find more about the West Fjords

In northwestern Iceland, the Westfjords is a broad peninsula with tones of mountains and an extreme fjord shoreline. It’s one of Iceland’s rawest sections and my preferred region. Few people are here and there are fewer visits, but on summer vacations Icelanders find their way here. This is a zone with small villages, fishing villages, hills, water cascades, and lakes.

Bubbles and whales call her home during the summer months. Many of the roads are blocked for several months in winter by ice and snow. But all to yourself, you will find small cities, deep fjords, and lovely walks. It’s not easy to get around but local residents let you easily ride around because there’s no bus service here. Be sure to eat a buffet with everything you can have at Tjöruhúsið in Ísafjörður. Happy! Happy!

3. Soak in a lagoon of relaxation

In the Blue Lagoon, most people dive. This massive, milky-blue spa feeds on the nearby geothermal plant with mineral-rich heated seawater. Though the most expensive, Iceland’s most popular geothermal pool can’t be denied that it’s the most desirable tourist destination in the world. But in the country, there are so many hot pools. Reykjavik has its own local one the Myvatn Nature Baths are located in the north, and the popular mountain springs on the way to Vik are not so discreet. A lot of free thermal springs are located on the island. To find them, use the Iceland Hotpot website.

4. See the Circle of Gold

The Golden Circle is the famous tourist route which covers the waterfall of Gullfoss, Geysir, and the Thingvellir National Park. You can drive easily from the capital and the airport, so people often visit this place during a short lay-off. The entire ring can be powered easily in a day. Along the way, you can stop and see Icelandic horses. There are several farms. Everyone is free to enjoy Tehya too!

5. Watch the light of the North

The Northern Lights are more apparent here from September to April. These lights of dance are one of the world’s greatest natural wonders. In Iceland, it takes patience, luck, and darkness to encounter auroral Borealis in all their glory. The northern country towns are the best location for viewing the light, especially during times of "low activity. Sometimes you can see the lights in Rekjyavik if they are very powerful.

6. The Jökulsárlón (Lagoon of Jökulsár) visit.

This ice-floe, situated to the south-east of Iceland, is only a few centuries old and now one of the country’s most popular attractions. From 1920 to 1965, Glacier Breiðamerkurjökull retreated very rapidly, leaving a stunning lagoon that is 190 meters deep. All year in the lagoon Icebergs float. I just love to sit down and listen to the melting of ice blocks on the way out into the sea. Boat trips around the lagoon are also possible.

7. Render a Trek Glacial

The glaciers become much more robust in the winter months, with tourist groups crossing them. You will see the glaciers no better way than to step on them and unleash your inner arctic explorer. Although other glaciers are around the world, Vatnajökull is one of the most common glaciers to hike. Extreme Iceland, Icelandic Mountain Guides, and Trek Iceland are some tour companies that have glacial expeditions.

Final Thoughts

I became obsessed with my love for the Island as I drew the people from it and the natural raw beauty of the land. Don’t be scared of Iceland by the high prices. You can save money while you’re there in plenty of ways. Inspire yourself, take advantage of the cheap flights, go north, and watch the northern lights in the hot springs!