The Long-Term Effects of the Corona Virus

The long-term effects of the Covidvirus are becoming apparent. Those whom have been shielding are feeling vulnerable and afraid to go out into busy areas, especially now cases are rising again. Those whom have suffered from the virus, even those with mild attacks may have had recurring illnesses and post viral fatigue, with bronchial complications too. Strange symptoms such as tiredness persist and cough and breathing difficulties which may take months to heal, I know I have been weary for months, I have breathlessness and still have a persistent cough although they are improving.

My brother is now suffering from clinical depression, as I’m sure many others are too, following the strict isolation for months. Plus of course the depression caused by losing one’s family members and friends to the virus. This has happened to thousands of people both in this country and world-wide.

The numbers dying in care-homes was phenomenal in the early stages; hopefully lessons will have been learned should there be a second wave this winter. Families will have been torn apart where members have been lost to the virus, plus children will have lost parents and grandparents.

Of course the other cause of depression created by the virus is the financial havoc. The loss of jobs, thus the income they would have provided, and the fear and uncertainty. Despite the financial support the government has set up many have fallen through the cracks, not qualifying for the various schemes. This will inevitably cause a growth of homelessness.

These are not just statistics they are real people who have worked all their lives to provide for their families. Some will have built businesses and are fighting to keep them profitable. This distress is bound to end in suicide for many who cannot take the strain any longer. On a worldwide scale the financial crisis that could ensue is beyond anyone’s thinking.

Divorce rates are soaring as relationships that were a bit rocky have crumbled under the strain of lockdown and the financial hardship that is following. It is anticipated the numbers could grow four-fold over the coming months. Food-banks are struggling to cope with the ever-growing number of desperate people trying to feed their families.

On a medical note waiting lists for cancer treatments and other medical issues are growing daily as the hospitals have been taken over by Covid patients.

So what can we all do to help the spread of the virus and help prevent a second wave this winter? Take wearing masks seriously, hand washing and social distancing, abide by the rules and not behave selfishly as some are doing with raves and parties. The sooner we reduce the spread the sooner we can all benefit living the new norm.

The isolation and loneliness of the last few months has been a nightmare for many especially those alone and shielding, and those missing their loved ones in hospital and unable to visit. Let us stay vigilant and follow the rules and recommendations it is in our own and everyone’s interest.

IF YOU ARE Lost, stuck, depressed or anxious?

There is a solution…