Pom Poms - How to Make Pom Poms

■■■ Poms

Yarn ■■■ poms are great on their own and they’re perfect for various knitting and crochet projects. They’re really easy to make and there are lots of different methods (and products) you can use to make them.

This is the way I’ve come up with that is cheap and easy, leaves you open to any size, and doesn’t require you to cut yarn off your ball to wrap them.

In the last few steps, I’ll also show you how to make the ■■■ ■■■ fluffier and how to do a multi-colored ■■■ ■■■.

Step 1: Supplies

Here’s what you are going to need to make your ■■■ poms.

• Yarn of choice
  • Cardboard (I used cardboard from a cereal box)
  • Scissors - the less bulky they are, the easier time you will have getting them under the yarn and cutting, also, make sure they are sharp enough to cut yarn, no safety scissors
  • Pencil
  • Circle objects to trace (I used the bottom of a glass and a small spool of thread)

Don’t want to deal with all of this? There are lots of ■■■ ■■■ making products to make it super easy on you. I have never tried any so I don’t know how well they work.

Step 2: ■■■ ■■■ Wrapper

First you need to cut out the cardboard for something to wrap your yarn around. A popular shape for this is a donut, but I find that a little inconvenient since you will have to cut the yarn off your skein to do this. My solution was to make a cut donut.

1. Start by tracing your large circle with the smaller circle inside (Don’t make the inside circle too big or too small if you can help it. Too small and you won’t be able to wrap the yarn in there, too big, and the ■■■ ■■■ might have too much extra space when you go to tie it.)
  2. You want to make one cut through the donut and cut out the center of the circle.
  3. Fold up the ends of your cardboard as shown in the photo.

The folds may annoy you and you can cut them off entirely if you want, but I find them handy for holding the yarn on while you wind it, and also you can fold them down when you go to cut the yarn which keeps the pieces from falling off.

image image image

Step 3: Wrap Yarn

Time to wrap the yarn!

Put your pieces together so the ■■■■■ face out on both sides.

Now wrap. Just keep going and try to keep it as even as you can. If you have big bulges, you are going to have longer pieces that will just have to be trimmed later, but it isn’t too big of a deal. It is hard to wrap the yarn near the ends, so it might be easier to stay more towards the middle like I did.

image image image

Step 4: Cut and Trim ■■■ ■■■

Time to cut all your yarn!

Go along the edge of the cardboard and just start cutting.

After all of the yarn has been cut, take another piece of yarn and wrap it around your ■■■ ■■■ going between the pieces of cards board.

Tie it up! I liked to tie two knots on one side, then wrap the yarn around to the opposite side and tie two more knots. You won’t see them so you probably can’t knot it too much.

Trim off the excess yarn and try to make it as circular as you can (it will be uneven).

As you can see from the last image, the ■■■ ■■■ should have pretty much the same diameter as your cardboard circle.

image image

Step 5: Tips!

• It helps to fold down the tabs when you start cutting. Then those yarn pieces won’t try to escape through the opening.
  • I found holding as much of the ■■■ ■■■ as I could while cutting made it hard for stray pieces of yarn to escape. Though, the more you cut, the more they’ll hold themselves in place.
  • If you want to hang this, make sure to use a long enough piece of yarn to tie up your ■■■ ■■■ and then leave one or both of them long.

You can see what my cardboard ■■■ ■■■ maker looked like after making 7 ■■■ poms. Mine mostly got beat up because I kept clipping it with my scissors.

image image

Step 6: How to Make a ■■■ ■■■ Fluffier

Brush it!

The best way to do this is to take an old brush that you don’t care about (though, it is pretty easy to pick the fluff out when you are done). It is also good to use a brush that doesn’t have little nubs at the end of the bristles. Those nubs will just get in the way of catching on the yarn.

Hold the ■■■ ■■■ tightly in one hand and start brushing with the other. If you brush hard you could pull out some of the yarn pieces, but if you grab it good enough, you shouldn’t have that problem. Just keep rotating the ■■■ ■■■ in your hand and try to brush all over so it is fluffy all over the outside.

If you look inside the ■■■ ■■■ after you are done, you’ll probably notice that the yarn strands are still pretty intact, but the outside of the ■■■ ■■■ should be nice and fluffy now.

image image

Step 7: How to Make a Multi-Colored ■■■ ■■■

It’s really easy, just wrap two (or more) colors of yarn at the same time. Wrapping them together ensures you’ll get a more even distribution of the colors throughout the ■■■ ■■■. Also, the more colors you do, the less times you’ll have to wrap since you’ll be wrapping more than one strand at a time.

image image

Step 8: Have Fun Making ■■■ Poms!

They’re fun to make and they’re just so soft and cute! I couldn’t help making them in all colors.

image image image