Direct marketing is a type of direct marketing that sends letters, postcards, or other promotional materials to past, present, or prospective customers or customers. Direct mail campaigns can target consumers or businesses or both. In many cases, mail is sent to a target demographic (e.g. homeowners) or to a geographic market (e.g. a specific region). In most cases, it is bulk or bulk mail, but you can also send a small amount directly.
Advantages of direct mail
- If you write well and communicate directly with your target market, you can respond effectively.
- Bulk mail is cheaper than regular mail.
- You can track the results.
Disadvantages of direct mail
- Many consumers don’t read mail items directly and discard them as Error in Email i-e “junk mail.”
- Response rates are often lower than other direct marketing strategies.
- This is especially expensive if emailing doesn’t yield results.
9 Ways To Use Direct Mail In Your Home Business
Often people only think in terms of mail advertising when considering direct mail. However, there are a number of ways a home business can use direct mail to acquire customers or customers.
- Product and Service Catalog: Send a catalog or a list of products you offer to potential customers so they can see everything you have to offer. It is recommended to include a coupon (#2) to encourage a purchase.
- Discounts and Specials: Instead of sending a card or letter introducing your product or service, why not include special deals like discounts for first time customers? People love good deals and it’s a great way for potential clients to learn more about your business.
- Useful Items or Tips: Realtors often send calendars and recipes to clients and clients. Those who receive this item keep the item because it provides something helpful or useful, and remembers the real estate agent’s name because it reminds you whenever a potential customer points to a calendar or recipe. You can do the same. What you send should be what people want to keep and fit your business.
- Notifications : We recommend sending notifications to customers and customers based on your product or service. For example, if you have a tax preparation business, you can send a notification about the deductible before the end of the year in December, or notify the business owner of bringing W-2 and 1099 by the end of January.
- Sample: If the cost is not high, please send a sample of the product or provide a free sample to the person responding to the mail. People love to get free items and test products before buying. Send samples to them and they will provide both.
- Announcements: If you are launching a new product or service, please inform your existing customers and customers and prospects. Again, it’s a good idea to include a discount that encourages you to check out new products or services.
- Newsletters: E-mail newsletters are the cheapest way to regularly convey information to your list, but print and mail news can also be effective. This allows you to combine many of the above ideas, such as a list of products or services, discounts, useful tips and announcements.
How to use direct mail in your home business
- Decide on your goals. What do you want people to do when they receive mail? order? Would you like to consult?
- Decide what type of mail you want to send. Postcards are cheap, but there are limits on how much information you can put. At the same time, a postcard is more likely to be read than a letter that the recipient must open to see its contents.
- Make mail. For DM’s success, you need to design an attractive mailer. To do that, you need to understand copywriting. It’s not enough just to tell people about your business. Instead, you have to seduce them by telling them about their needs and offering them a solution to their problems. You can put your text on the envelope, so don’t forget the message that entices people to open the letter.
- Design and print your mail professionally. Not only words, but how they are displayed in the mailer and the images used to determine whether to read the mail. Anyone who knows about direct mail should pay.
- Identify your target market. Who will receive your mail? Are you contacting past customers, current prospects, or sending cold mails from your purchased mail list? If you plan to purchase a list, do research before spending money to see if it is an updated quality list. Also, follow the mailing rules of the list owner. For example, you only “lease” the name for one mailing. The only way to add list members to the permanent list is to respond to mail.
- For group mail use, please contact your local post office. This is the cheapest way to send mail directly. With that said, stamped envelopes often have higher opening rates than bulk mailed envelopes.
- Run the mail test. It’s expensive, so I don’t want to mail the entire list if I don’t deliver results. By sending a smaller test run you can see if you have succeeded in getting the results and the opportunity to make adjustments to improve your response.
- Prepare a promotion for mailing and take it to your local post office.
- Response Tracking and ROI Calculation Determine whether direct mail is an effective marketing strategy for your home business.