Asi Asi

Although “asi” itself has three meanings I think; like this, like that, or in this way, “asi asi” is widely used where I live as mas o menos meaning more or less. In fact, the asi asi can mean “acceptable”. In other words I think it describes so well asi asi. Interestingly, the Spanish word for “tan”. I’m tired = estoy tan cansando. One can go on to see if tan tan also meant so so.
“así así” is colloquial and is therefore not always entirely understood by all Spanish speakers; however, the hand motion that generally accompanies it usually translates the meaning anyway.

asi asi

"Asi asi" and its origin

I see that phrase used by many learners, but I have never seen a traditional person use that phrase. So I was wondering if there are regions where people say that, because otherwise it doesn’t make sense that a lot of people teach learners this phrase.

A few friends say they read it in books or even from Spanish teachers, but they all realize that they have never really seen / heard it in the wild when I asked them.

I have been wondering for a while now how it is that this discourse is so widespread among non-natives, but it is not even close to spreading among native speakers (or is that entirely false?), So I was hoping that someone here could shed some light on the issue.

How do you use “así” in Spanish?

Así stands for like this/this way most times. It could also stand for:

• Expression to denote admiration or surprise

• Also, the same

• It could be a synonym to tan, but in that case it must be accompanied by a de (¿Tan alto era? = ¿Así de alto era? = Was he that tall?)

• To explain a consequence: No tenía dinero, así que no pudo ir (He had no money, so he couldn’t go)

• A synonym to ojalá

You could use así like in the following examples:

• Deberías escribirlo así → You should write it like this.

Or you could use it as a comparison:

• Así como vino, se fue (The same way it came, it was gone)

So, depending on use, así may be combined with como, es que, o asá (an expression), pues, que, que asá/asado

Conclusion

Asi asi is used when something a matter is not very clear, for example, how was the exam yesterday? Then you respond “asi, asi”. In essence, I would like to say that you do not know if you have approved or not because you have generated doubts about the result in this specific case. It is also used in case of health, if you are not well but you are not bad either.