Why Do You Need Magnesium Supplements and How Much You Should Eat?

Magnesium is an essential mineral that promotes good well-being for health but many people have found it to be magnesium deficiency. So what’s the big deal about this deficiency? Let me explain to you and don’t be surprised by its wonders.

Use of magnesium

Magnesium is needed for more than 300 chemical reaction in our human body and aims to regulate normal blood pressure, keeps bones strong and maintain a healthy immune system. Therefore, Magnesium is often used to combat problems like hypertension, diabetes, and cardiovascular-related problems.

There are foods that provide magnesium such as spinach, beans, nuts, seeds, and unrefined whole grains. Having a healthy diet would ensure that you have the necessary intake of magnesium each day.

In that case, why do we still need magnesium supplements? Dietary surveys in the US show that many Americans do not get recommended amount of magnesium in dietary intake each day and magnesium deficiency are on the rise.

Some people cannot maintain constant good levels of magnesium intake every day and since the absorption of magnesium is dependent on the digestive system, only one-third of the dietary magnesium is successfully absorbed into the body.

Magnesium supplements

Magnesium supplements come into play nicely because you can take them orally every day and not worrying that your meals will have an adverse impact on your required intake.

Also, magnesium supplements come in different forms for better absorption such as magnesium oxide, magnesium sulfate, and magnesium carbonate. I have good experience with taking NOW Food’s Magnesium because I find it more effective than other brands I have tried so far. I would recommend you give it a try.

Magnesium is safe

While magnesium is very safe for most people to consume orally or in the form of injectable products, some may experience stomachache, vomiting and dizziness. Very often, it’s because people have ignored the recommended dosage and intake too many magnesium supplements at once.

If you are not aware of that, doses less than 350 mg per day are quite safe for most adults and teenagers. I wouldn’t recommend taking more than this dosage as it might cause magnesium supplements to build up in the body and cause problems like low blood pressure and stomach upset.

For our fellow lady readers, if you are pregnant and currently breastfeeding, you can definitely still take magnesium supplements without worrying about any side effects but you need to follow the recommended intake on the label more strictly.

Conclusion

I wouldn’t recommend people facing kidney problems to eat magnesium supplements because kidneys that are not functioning at full capability might have problems flushing excess magnesium out in the body and that might cause magnesium to build up in the body to dangerous levels.

Again, magnesium supplements can give you an extra boost in life if you know how to use them correctly to your advantage. Why don’t you give it a try today?