Definition of Wholesale banking:
Banking services which (in contrast to retail banking) are offered only to government agencies, pension funds, other institutional customers and to corporations with strong balance sheets and sound income statements. These services include cash management, fleet and equipment leasing, large-sum loans, loan participation, merchant banking, and trust services.
Borrowing and lending amongst banks in inter-bank market, often involving very large sums.
Wholesale banking refers to banking services sold to large clients, such as other banks, other financial institutions, government agencies, large corporations, and real estate developers. It is the opposite of retail banking, which focuses on individual clients and small businesses. Wholesale banking services include currency conversion, working capital financing, large trade transactions, mergers and acquisitions, consultancy, and underwriting, among other services.
In its essence, wholesale banking is the financial practice of lending and borrowing between two large institutions. The types of services are provided by investment banks that often also offer retail banking. This means that an individual looking for wholesale banking wouldn't have to go to a special institution and could instead engage the same bank in which he conducts his personal retail banking.
The business of a wholesale bank.
How to use Wholesale banking in a sentence?
- Wholesale banking is the opposite of retail banking, which services individuals and small businesses.
- We had some wholesale banking going on for our business and that was good for our company because we desperately needed it.
- Wholesale banking also refers to the borrowing and lending between institutional banks.
- Typical services sold are mergers and acquisitions, consulting, currency conversion, and underwriting.
- Wholesale banking refers to banking services sold to large clients, such as corporations, other banks, and government agencies.
- Wholesale banking was not available to our small business but we researched it fully to determine if it was viable.
- You should try to have a good reputation with the wholesale banking community so that you can continue to do business with them.
- Most standard banks offer wholesale banking services in addition to traditional retail banking services.
Meaning of Wholesale banking & Wholesale banking Definition