Definition of White elephant:
A white elephant is something whose cost of upkeep is not in line with its usefulness or value. From an investment perspective, the term refers to an asset, property, or business that is so expensive to operate and maintain that it is extremely difficult to actually make a profit from it.
A business or investment that is unprofitable and is likely to remain unprofitable. In the case of a business, a business usually becomes known as a white elephant if it is unable to turn a profit because it is so expensive to operate and maintain. Very few people are interested in owning or purchasing something considered to be a white elephant. The term is derived from a traditional Asian practice of a monarch owning a white elephant; the elephant was considered sacred, but it was very costly and impractical to own.
A white elephant is a burdensome possession. When applied to investments, it can be used to describe anything that is expensive to maintain, unprofitable, and impossible to sell. In other words, white elephant is the name given to undesirable investments that are more trouble than they are worth.
Synonyms of White elephant
Christmas present, Award, Birthday present, Box, Burden, Burthen, Cadeau, Cargo, Charge, Cross, Cumbrance, Deadweight, Difficulty, Disadvantage, Embarrassment, Encumbrance, Fairing, Freight, Gift, Hamper, Handicap, Handsel, Impediment, Impedimenta, Imposition, Inconvenience, Load, Lumber, Oblation, Offering, Onus, Pack, Peace offering, Penalty, Present, Presentation, Tribute, Trouble, Weight
How to use White elephant in a sentence?
- They were making absolutely no money from their Ukrainian amusement park investment, so the Six Flags brass were anxious to unload the white elephant and repair the financial damage as soon as possible.
- The truck parked on the side of the driveway was considered a white elephant , due to the fact that it was just impossible to diagnose and fix.
- The term derives from the old Thai custom of gifting rare, expensive to keep white elephants to the reigning monarch.
- A white elephant is a burdensome possession whose cost of upkeep is not in line with its usefulness or value.
- Nowadays it is often associated with unprofitable real estate.
- Sometimes you just must admit that the path you are on leads to a white elephant and its time to start anew.
Meaning of White elephant & White elephant Definition