White collar

White collar,

Definition of White collar:

1. Relating to the work done or those who work in an office or other professional environment.

2. A white-collar worker belongs to a class of employees known for earning higher average salaries doing highly skilled work, but not by performing manual labor at their jobs. White-collar workers historically have been the "shirt and tie" set, defined by office jobs and management, and not "getting their hands dirty.".

3. Refers to employees whose job entails, largely or entirely, mental or clerical work, such as in an office. The term white collar work used to characterize non-manual workers, but now it refers to employees or professionals whose work is knowledge intensive, non-routine, and unstructured. Historically, in the West, clerical workers wore white shirt collars but manual workers wore blue. See also blue collar.

4. This class of worker stands in contrast to blue-collar workers, who traditionally wore blue shirts and worked in plants, mills, and factories.

Synonyms of White collar

Non-manual, Office, Clerical, Professional, Executive, Salaried

How to use White collar in a sentence?

1. I got in my car. After years of school, I finally got my first white collar job. I hope it was worth it.
  2. Sometimes people will come from the blue collar work world to the white collar world and need a brief transition period.
  3. White-collar workers and jobs are often portrayed in contrast to blue-collar work, insinuating a stratification of the working class.
  4. White-collar jobs typically are higher paid, higher-skilled jobs that require more education and training than low-skilled or manual work.
  5. White-collar workers are suit-and-tie workers who work at a desk and, stereotypically, eschew physical labor.
  6. The white-collar salaried professions, such as public administration and banking, did however, provide the potential for mobility.
  7. Having a white collar job will allow you to work without exerting to much physical energy through the day but you will still use a lot of mental energy.

Meaning of White collar & White collar Definition