What to Eat When having Gut or Stomach Disorder:

One can face a lot of problem when choose diet and food while facing a stomach issues or unstable guts. When healing, our body flourishes on products that are easy to absorb, as well as in nutrients. Cooked foods are often easier to digest and more portable to those who have damaged the guts. Raw and cold foods can irritate many but not all.

Eating a small amount is often better when you start on a healing diet. It is also useful to make sure your blood sugar level is well managed, and I find that most customers have bowel problems and blood sugar problems. So, it’s a good idea to have every 3 hours to keep your blood sugar level. I recommend eating within the eight-hour window of the day. If possible, it will help maintain the natural circus rhythm of your body. Eat mostly in the daytime or at least a few hours before normal sleep. It is best to keep the carbs during the day, for example, an evening meal. They can promote night sleep-most of our carbohydrates around sunset are best served to improve leptin rhythm. So, the fat, protein, and low glycemic vegetables and fruit breakfast and starches saved for dinner (coupled with a little fat/protein) is a good game plan if possible. For more interested topics in the nutrition category, you can also visit the holistic nutrition blog website.

Proteins

Your protein body needs to heal. I have many customers who come to me that don’t seem to tolerate delicate meat that makes them think they should take into consideration becoming vegan/vegetarian. However, likely, they don’t have enough stomach acid to break down proteins in the first place. Bone broth is very protein sparing and loaded with amino acids. A good option for those who have trouble digesting meat. Well cooked or boiled meats are better tolerated when digestion is compromised and best coupled with a little fat or stock. Bone marrow is also very nutritious. Fresh, pastured eggs are an excellent source of protein.

Dairy

Dairy can be smart only if it’s tolerated, and even then, selectively selecting a dairy farm will be necessary. Many of us have an issue with lactose -anyone with gluten intolerance will need to be very careful with dairy. Also, case in sensitivity is a problem -there are two types; A1 beta-casein and A2 beta-casein. A1 beta-casein is that the one people typically have questions with. It’s from newer breeds of cows instead of heritage breeds or goats or sheep. If you’re intolerant to the A1 beta-casein, you may do okay with goat’s milk, sheep’s milk, or from older breeds of cows resembling Jersey’s or Guernseys. However, if you’re lactose intolerant, you may get to take care of dairy. That’s why diets like GAPS and SCD use the 24-hour yogurt to get rid of most of the lactose. I prefer the dairy tips for the GAPS diet that I cover more within the Heal Your Gut course. I feel it’s value looking into via testing what dairy you tolerate and what you don’t. Yogurt is a crucial healing food if it is taken. I highly recommend making homemade yogurt and consuming it regularly. It is a vital component of the SCD and GAPS diets, both gut-healing protocols. If you have an allergy or delayed allergy or sensitivity, yogurt won’t be an option. In some folks with intermittent allergies, yogurt can be tolerated every 4th or 7th day. Yogurt is loaded with beneficial bacteria. Yogurt is a healing food included in my traditional cultures throughout history. The good bacteria deteriorate in Yogurt as it is stored, so it is best to make your own and to eat it fresh. Suppose you have SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth- you may not tolerate yogurt until you get the bacteria under control)

Vitamins

Vitamin A-rich foods such as butterfat, egg yolks, liver and other organ meats, seafood, and fish liver oils are essential. Vitamin A stimulates the secretion of gastric juices needed for protein digestion. The body cannot utilize protein, minerals, and water-soluble vitamins without vitamin A from animal sources. It is challenging to convert carotenes from plants into vitamin A, making vegetable sources of ‘vitamin A’ in carotene form not an ideal source of this vital Vitamin D rich foods are needed for calcium absorption. Vitamin E rich foods are essential for tissue repair and healing. Increased ingestion of polyunsaturated oils requires a more significant amount of vitamin E in the diet. Again, foods like; butterfat, eggs, liver, organ meats, marine oils, seafood, nuts, seeds, and even some legumes (adequately prepared and tolerated).

Minerals

Minerals are sorely lacking in the modern-day diet and are quickly depleted further by stress. Lack of hydrochloric acid in the stomach (which we will cover more in the Heal Your Gut course) makes it difficult for us to obtain enough minerals. Lack of mineral-rich water is another modern-day problem. The best sources of minerals in our diet come from mineral-rich water, nutrient-dense foods, herbal teas, bone broth, and quality sea salt.

Even small amounts of clay are traditional practices that can get more minerals into the diet and help bind toxic materials and move them out of the body.

Enzymes

Enzymes in food include proteases for digesting proteins, lipases for digesting fats, amylases for digesting carbohydrates. Enzymes in our saliva (from acceptable chewing practices) and our food also help with digestion immensely. Raw foods and fermented foods are the best sources of food enzymes. Enzymes are deactivated above 118 for wet-heat temp and 150 for dry heat temps. If we cannot tolerate raw foods initially when healing the gut, we must supplement. Enzyme-rich foods include raw fruits and vegetables, soaked and dehydrated nuts/seeds, raw dairy or cultured dairy products, natural meats, such as; sushi/sashimi, raw oysters, beef tartare, raw honey. If you do poorly on natural foods, you will want to utilize enzyme-rich condiments with your cooked foods diet (and supplement). Homemade mayonnaise, raw apple cider vinegar, raw cheeses are some excellent choices. I tried to consume something raw or fermented at every meal if possible.

Fats

Fats are also very healing and nourishing, so long as you do not have severe gallbladder issues. People with digestive disorders, other than gallbladder, should tolerate lubricants quite well. Fats provide us with vitamins A, D, E, and K, omega 3s, and more. These nutrients are critical to healing. I recommend reading up more on the use of fats in cooking in this article: Fats Safer Options for Your Frying Pan and Your Health. Then ditch the harmful oils in your home, swap them for good fats, and included good fats at every meal.