What is the full title of Daenerys Targaryen?

What is the full title of Daenerys Targaryen?

2 Likes

In my interpretation, the following should be her full title. I’m not sure that every piece of information here is correct, I did consult A Wiki of Ice and Fire about these topics.

I’ll just intermix the book lore, which is consistent and logical, with the series’ events, which progressed further but which produced loopholes in the lore, the story, and even in the legal system. See, a Westerosi noble’s title gives the bearer various functions, offices, roles, rights and responsibilities. So if everything in the books goes the same way as in the series, (Or if the series followed the lore perfectly,) it would look something like this.

It’s a bit like heraldry, it follows strict rules but slight variations may occur based on interpretation. The legal system and traditions of Westeros are not always clear - For example, both Daenerys’ and any of the Baratheons claim to the throne could be equally justified based on tradition and precedence.

Her entire title and claim rests on the illegitimacy of Robert’s claim, refusing its validation through the right of conquest, her hereditary right to the Iron Throne and her own further titles based on the right of conquest . Her claim so far disregards any possible counter-claims by any other possible Targaryen heirs and is based on the information that she is the last Targaryen.

According to her claim, she would be

Queen Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, Lady of Dragonstone, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

With this long set of titles, she (legally) claims dominion over all of Westeros south of the Wall, a portion of Slaver’s Bay in Central Essos, a large swath of the plains of inland Essos, military command over all Westerosi forces, demands homage from the entire nobility of Westeros and sovereignty over the Realm.

In order, these mean the following,

Queen Daenerys Stormborn

Her name and moniker “Stormborn,” referring to the circumstances of her birth, during “the worst storm in living memory,” on Dragonstone, off the eastern coast of Westeros, the Targaryen ancestral home and last stronghold during the end of Robert’s Rebellion. The title would have been Princess of Dragonstone while Viserys was alive and Daenerys was heir presumptive to the throne, de jure. After her, the legal heir presumptive would be either Stannis Baratheon or someone closer related to the Targaryen dynasty.

of the House Targaryen,

Pretty self-explanatory. Aside from the obvious, this also makes her a Westerosi noble lady by right.

the First of Her Name,

Also self-explanatory, there hasn’t been a monarch called Daenerys (or an actual ruling queen based on where you are standing on the events of The Dance of Dragons before her.) (Dance of Dragons, as in, the Targaryen civil war, between the forces of Rhaenya and Aegon II Targaryen)

Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men,

This is the actual royal title that gives her sovereignty over the Realm. This makes her the ruler of all the people of Westeros. There are three major ethnic groups on the continent: The First Men, who predominantly inhabit the North, the Andals, who predominantly inhabit the South, and the Rhoynar, the migrant people from the Rhoyne who have fled to Dorne after their people’s defeat by Valyria and helped establish, along with their new Andal noble allies, the Principality of Dorne.

Lady of the Seven Kingdoms

This title gives her political power over the feudalistic and aristrocatic politico-societal structure of the Seven Kingdoms. All of these kingdoms (and lands)are in the present governed by Lord Paramount/Great House families, which form the collective high nobility of the Realm, with the exception of Dorne, which is a principality, still retaining some level of sovereignty or at least, autonomy. These high lords or ladies have the loyalty of smaller noble houses of their respective lands that are their sworn vassals and their bannermen in times of war. The Lord or Lady of the Seven Kingdoms is the highest ranking noble in the Realm, is the paramount liege lord or lady to whom all the other houses and the principality of Dorne are directly (or indirectly) sworn as vassals.

and Protector of the Realm,

This is the chief military commander title in the Seven Kingdoms, directly above every Warden and the Prince of Dorne. This title is rutinely, (Although not always) paired with the royal title, but it can be granted to others by the sovereign.

the Lady of Dragonstone,

The Targaryen custom usually grants the title Prince/Princess of Dragonstone to the heir of the sovereign. Altough Daenerys was never officially named Princess of Dragonstone by Viserys, the Targaryen family is, legally, the only family which holds the rights to not one but three strongholds and their respective holdings: King’s Landing and the Crownlands, ruled by the sovereign, the Castle of Dragonstone and the island of the same name, usually ruled by the heir, and Summerhall, the summer residence of the Targaryen family, usually ruled by a younger son or daughter - although it was destroyed and its legal status as a ruined castle is unclear. (Still, the ruined castle Harrenhall still grants lordship status and land rights to its owner) At any rate, as the last living Targaryen, Daenerys inherits all three of these holdings. (Summerhall is somewhat forgotten so I didn’t add it to the full title.) If she’s already a Queen, she’s not the Princess of Dragonstone, so in this regard, she just retains the lordship status the holding grants.

the Queen of Meereen,

Pretty straightforward, she’s the sovereign ruler of the city-state Meereen through right of conquest. Alternatively, she might even be called Queen of Dragon’s Bay too.

Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea,

This is somewhat more flexible and rudimentary but Khal is the closest equivalent of ruler in Dothraki tradition and Khaleesi does retain some of the same aspects as Princess/Queen. At any rate, de facto she now has the loyalty of multiple khalassars, so at present, this title would make her something like a ruler of a unified Dothraki people.

the Unburnt, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

These honors are de jure empty titles, they showcase her past achievements but bear no legal significance. They are honorifics similar to Brandon the Builder or Lann the Clever.

Depending on Daenerys’ perspective of her prophesized chosen one status that apparently the church of the Lord of Light recognizes at this point, she may, based on said canonization, start using the titles Lord’s Chosen or Princess Who Was Promised or something along these lines. This would serve as something like a legitimization but in Westeros, it would very likely prove to be counter-productive. In the Seven Kingdoms, it would be best to be annointed by the High Septon. If there was any.

Depending on the status of the North and the possible settling of Wildlings there during or after the Great War, the royal title might be updated to be Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar, the First Men and the Free Folk. However, the Free Folk are ethnically First Men so this might not be necessary.

If we count the ruined Summerhall as a separate legal holding then Daenerys is also Lady of Summerhall.

Feel free to tell me if you think I missed or misintrepreted something.

Update:

Thanks Kelly Russo for pointing out that I forgot the honorific “the Unburnt,”
Philip Sutter for pointing out that she’s not in fact Princess of Dragonstone. My bad! I mixed up the royal heir Prince of Dragonstone title with the actual ruling Prince rank (that is still in use in Dorne.) David Penrice pointed out that the Free Folk are in fact ethnically First Men, so including them separately in the royal title is illogical.

Benjamin Garrett provided an interesting argument that she should also be called Queen of Dragon’s Bay.

She is Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, First of her name, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First men, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, Queen of Mereen.

If I remember the scene from when she and Jon meet, it’s: you stand before Daenerys Stormborn, rightful heir to the Seven Kingdoms, rightful ruler of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the great grass sea, the mother of dragons, the unburnt, the breaker of chains.

I could have left some out or gotten the wording wrong, but I didn’t want to cheat and Google it and was trying to go by just memory. It’s a mouthful to be sure.

Daenarys Targaryen Queen of the most useless parts of Westeros

Thats how it stands at end of season 7 as she no longer has Mereen and she certainty has no right to call herself Queen of all of Westeros. When I say the most useless parts I’m including the North, which will soon be overrun with wights and Dragonstone which is self explanatory useless. I don’t know if she controls Dorne and the Reach but if so they have been eliminated and are beyond useless