Vicarious liability

Vicarious liability,

Definition of Vicarious liability:

1. Obligation that arises from the relationship of one party with another. For example, a principal is generally liable for the agents acts performed in the course of the agents duties assigned by the principal; and an employer for the action or inaction of an employee in the normal course of her or her employment or duties. Also called vicarious responsibility.

2. Vicarious liability is a situation in which one party is held partly responsible for the unlawful actions of a third party. The third party also carries his or her own share of the liability. Vicarious liability can arise in situations where one party is supposed to be responsible for (and have control over) a third party and is negligent in carrying out that responsibility and exercising that control.

3. For example, an employer can be held liable for the unlawful actions of an employee, such as harassment or discrimination in the workplace.

How to use Vicarious liability in a sentence?

1. I did not believe that I should have been responsible for the actions of my employee when he crashed the company truck after hours, but my attorney assured me that vicarious liability exists because I allowed him to drive the truck home.
  2. You should always try to do your best to limit your vicarious liability so that if things go bad it doesnt ruin you.
  3. My manger informed me that he had vicarious liability over me and would suffer if I screwed up somehow on the job.

Meaning of Vicarious liability & Vicarious liability Definition