Treble damages

Treble damages,

Definition of Treble damages:

1. Treble damages are a type of civil damages awarded in civil court cases. Treble damages are often awarded in cases involving patent infringement, willful counterfeiting and antitrust violations. Plaintiffs in personal injury cases may also receive treble damages if the violated statute supports them, if the plaintiff requests them and if the defendant intended to harm the plaintiff. Treble damages are intended to be punitive in order to deter others from committing the same offense.

2. Treble damages refer to financial compensation awarded by a court to a prevailing plaintiff that are three times the actual or compensatory damages. Treble damages may be required by the statute that has been violated.

3. A statute that allows a court to triple (treble) the amount of damages that a defendant must pay to a plaintiff. This large increase in compensatory damages occurs when a defendant willfully and knowingly did something illegal. For example, a company that willfully infringed upon another companys patent by producing a product that it did not have the rights to produce could be sued by the patent holder, and the court could award the defendant treble damages if the defendant was well aware that the product infringed on the patent.

How to use Treble damages in a sentence?

1. If you ever injure someone else you may be forced to pay treble damages which can cost you a lot of money.
  2. If you are injured you may try and get treble damages so that you get something for your pain and suffering.
  3. I wondered what treble damages actually were because I really felt as though I had violated some principle that it represented.

Meaning of Treble damages & Treble damages Definition