Definition of Transformer:
Device that converts an alternating (A/C) current of a certain voltage to an alternating current of different voltage, without change of frequency, by electromagnetic induction. A step up transformer receives a low voltage and converts into a higher voltage, and a step down transformer does just the reverse.
A person or thing that transforms something.
An apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current.
Synonyms of Transformer
Agent, Alembic, Alterant, Alterative, Alterer, Anvil, Caldron, Catalyst, Catalytic agent, Crucible, Engine, Ferment, Innovationist, Innovator, Introducer, Lathe, Leaven, Machine, Melting pot, Modificator, Modifier, Mortar, Motor, Precursor, Retort, Test tube, Transducer, Transmogrifier, Yeast
How to use Transformer in a sentence?
- Making sure that you have a good transformer can help save you time and money from certain electrical problems that may have happened otherwise.
- I wanted to go see that new Transformer movie because I was a big fan of the actor that was in the leading role of the film.
- The great transformer of mankind.
- A transformer converting voltage outside caught on fire and the power went out in all the nearby houses in the neighborhood.
- LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.
Meaning of Transformer & Transformer Definition