Definition of Ton:
Securities trading: Block of securities with the par value of $100 million.
Refrigeration: Cooling capacity of an air conditioner or refrigerator equal to 12,000 British thermal units (Btus) per hour and denotes the amount of heat required to melt one ton of ice in 24 hours.
A unit of weight equal to 2,000 pounds avoirdupois (907.19 kg).A unit of weight equal to 2,240 pounds avoirdupois (1016.05 kg).A unit of measurement of a ships weight representing the weight of water it displaces, equal to 2,240 pounds or 35 cubic feet (0.99 cu m).A unit of weight or volume of sea cargo, equal to a metric ton (1,000 kg) or 40 cubic feet.
General: Measure of weight equal to 2,240 pounds (called long ton) now largely replaced by the metric ton (or tonne) of 1,000 kilograms (2,204.68 pounds) except in the US where the US ton or the short ton of 2,000 pounds is still in use.
A unit of gross internal capacity, equal to 100 cubic feet (2.83 cu. m).An equivalent unit of net internal capacity.A unit of refrigerating power able to freeze 2,000 pounds of water at 0°C in 24 hours.A measure of capacity for various materials, especially 40 cubic feet of timber.
A large number or amount.
Shipping: (1) Freight rate charged on the basis of weight in metric ton or tonne (1,000 kilograms or 2,200 pounds) for heavy or densely packed cargo. (2) Freight rate charged on the basis of measurement ton, freight ton, or mercantile Ton equivalent to 40 cubic feet (1.33 cubic meter) of volume for light or loosely packed cargo. (3) Registered ton or shipping ton equal to 100 cubic feet (2.832 meters) in which gross registered tonnage of a ship is expressed. See also tonnage.
Synonyms of Ton
Abundance, Profusion, Plethora, Mine, Store, Treasury, Copiousness, Plenitude, Amplitude, Bounty, Cornucopia
How to use Ton in a sentence?
- The workers had to use heavy duty equipment to get the two ton car out of the ditch, the machines groaning under the weight.
- Another mouse click brings up a table listing each individual bunkers location, its area in square feet, and its sand capacity in cubic feet, cubic yards and tons.
- Units exported or imported were reported only in pounds, gallons, bales, bushels, short tons, dozens, bags, crates and bunches, etc., depending on the commodity.
- If you are shipping something that weighs a ton you will probably have to pay quite a bit so it better be worth it.
- I had a ton of paper bags in my closet, so I decided to throw some of them out into the trash can, which would take a few minutes.
Meaning of Ton & Ton Definition