Definition of Symbol:
A thing that represents or stands for something else, especially a material object representing something abstract.
A mark or character used as a conventional representation of an object, function, or process, e.g. the letter or letters standing for a chemical element or a character in musical notation.
Mark, sign, or word that indicates, signifies, or is understood as representing an idea, object, or relationship. Symbols allow people to go beyond what is known or seen by creating linkages between otherwise very different concepts and experiences. All communication (and data processing) is achieved though the use of symbols.
Synonyms of Symbol
Represent, Be a symbol of, Stand for, Be a sign of, Exemplify, Sign, Character, Mark, Letter, Hieroglyph, Ideogram, Emblem, Token, Sign, Representation, Figure, Image, Type
How to use Symbol in a sentence?
- The first was symbol of the atonement the 2nd was to symbol the carrying away of sins.
- In lieu of an end of the year bonus, Dwight was given a plaque as a symbol of his hard work and dedication to the company.
- The flowers he gave her for valentines day were a symbol of his love for her, but she just liked how they smelled.
- The limousine was another symbol of his wealth and authority.
- While visiting another country, I saw signs with words in a language I didnt understand, but they often included visual symbol s to explain their meanings.
- The symbol r in Figure 5 represents a gene which is ineffective.
Meaning of Symbol & Symbol Definition