Definition of Surcharge:
General: Amount added on to a usual charge for a specific product, purpose, or service. See also surtax.
Many entities, including governments, businesses, and service professionals assess surcharges for goods or services. For example, taxi drivers may add a fuel surcharge of $1 when gas prices increase. The cost of some products and services do not include the added surcharge. Instead, the calculated fee will be assessed upon acceptance or purchase of the item and appears in the contract or purchase agreement.
Audit: Expenditure disallowed as unauthorized by auditors following an audit, and refundable by the party incurring it.
A surcharge is an extra fee, charge, or tax that is added on to the cost of a good or service, beyond the initially quoted price. Often, a surcharge is added to an existing tax and is not included in the stated price of the good or service. The charge could reflect a locality's need to collect money for extra services, a hike to defray the cost of increased commodity pricing, such as with a fuel surcharge, or an extra fee on your wireless bill for access to emergency services.
Law: Fine imposed by a court on a fiduciary for breach of duty.
Synonyms of Surcharge
Bale, Bleed, Bleed white, Burden, Burdening, Burthen, Cargo, Charge, Charging, Choke, Clip, Congest, Congestion, Cram, Crowd, Cumber, Cumbrance, Deadweight, Doctor accounts, Drag, Drench, Encumbrance, Engorgement, Exploit, Exploitation, Extortion, Fleece, Freight, Garble accounts, Glut, Gluttonize, Gorge, Gouge, Handicap, Highway robbery, Hold up, Holdup, Hyperemia, Incubus, Incumbency, Jam, Jam-pack, Lading, Load, Loading, Loan-sharking, Millstone, Oppression, Overassessment, Overbrimming, Overburden, Overcharge, Overfeed, Overfill, Overflow, Overfreight, Overfullness, Overlade, Overload, Overprice, Overspill, Overstuff, Overtax, Overtaxing, Overweight, Overweighting, Pack, Plethora, Pressure, Profiteer, Repletion, Saddling, Salt, Satiate, Satiety, Saturate, Saturation, Screw, Shylocking, Skin, Soak, Stick, Sting, Stuff, Supercharge, Superincumbency, Supersaturate, Supersaturation, Surfeit, Swindle, Taxing, Usury, Victimize
How to use Surcharge in a sentence?
- The customer was unhappy to see a surcharge on her dinner bill for a gratuity since the service had been slow and the wait staff rude.
- A surcharge is an additional charge, tax, or payment that a company adds to the already existent cost of a good or service.
- I found out there would be a surcharge on top of the fees and charges we were already paying. I was upset but agreed to this possibility when I signed the contract.
- Many industries, including travel, telecom, and cable, will add surcharges to offset the cost of higher prices, such as fuel, or regulatory fees imposed by the government.
- Surcharges are a way to indirectly pass costs on to the consumer, by listing a charge separately from the cost of the good or service, which appears to stay at the same price.
- Sometimes certain products will need to have a surcharge because they may harm the environment or be hard to get ahold of.
Meaning of Surcharge & Surcharge Definition