Summa cum laude,
Definition of Summa cum laude:
The guidelines under which students achieve each level of academic honor differ from institution to institution. Every university or college outlines its own expectations for each program, and some higher education institutions do not bestow Latin honors at all. Others, like Stanford University, have a separate set of non-Latin distinctions that are typically seen as roughly equivalent to the traditional Latin titles. Increasingly, high schools across the United States also include Latin honors for students upon graduation. Although Latin honors are quite common in the United States, very few other countries around the world use the system.
A latin phrase meaning with highest honor. This distinction is given to graduates, usually from a college or university, who have received the highest level of academic excellence as required by the university. See also magna cum laude and cum laude.
With the highest distinction.
Summa cum laude is an honorary title used by educational institutions to signify a degree that was earned "with highest distinction." Summa cum laude is the highest distinction of three commonly used types of Latin honors recognized in the United States. The other two are called magna cum laude and cum laude, representing degrees earned "with great distinction" and "with distinction," respectively.
How to use Summa cum laude in a sentence?
- Latin honors are impressive, but it's impossible to know how critical they are in landing a job.
- My mother graduated from her class as a summa cum laude and it made her proud because she worked hard for that degree.
- He graduated summa cum laude.
- Criteria for the honor may include grade point average, class rank, hours completed, and honors designations from an academic department.
- If someone has graduated with summa cum laude they are probably a very highly sought candidate for any well paying job.
- Summa cum laude is the highest of three Latin honors that may be bestowed upon students earning a bachelor's degree.
- We graduated summa cum laude with the highest honors at our prestigious university, we graduated with business degrees specializing in finance.
Meaning of Summa cum laude & Summa cum laude Definition