Definition of Subsidiary:
A company controlled by a holding company.
Less important than but related or supplementary to something.
An enterprise controlled by another (called the parent) through the ownership of greater than 50 percent of its voting stock. See also affiliate.
The parent holds a controlling interest in the subsidiary company, meaning it has or controls more than half of its stock. In cases where a subsidiary is 100% owned by another firm, the subsidiary is referred to as a wholly owned subsidiary. Subsidiaries become very important when discussing a reverse triangle mortgage.
In the corporate world, a subsidiary is a company that belongs to another company, which is usually referred to as the parent company or the holding company.
Synonyms of Subsidiary
Accessory, Accident, Accidental, Addendum, Addition, Additional, Adjunct, Adjuvant, Adscititious, Adventitious, Ancillary, Appendage, Appurtenance, Appurtenant, Ascititious, Assistant, Assisting, Auxiliary, Casual, Circumstantial, Collateral, Contingency, Contingent, Contributory, Dotal, Dower, Dowered, Dowry, Endowed, Extra, Fortuitous, Fostering, Happenstance, Helping, Incidental, Inessential, Instrumental, Invested, Mere chance, Ministerial, Ministering, Ministrant, Minor, Nonessential, Not-self, Nurtural, Nutricial, Other, Pensionary, Secondary, Serving, Stipendiary, Subordinate to, Subservient, Superadded, Superaddition, Superfluous, Supervenient, Supplement, Supplemental, Supplementary, Tributary, Unessential, Subordinate company, Wholly owned company, Subordinate, Secondary, Ancillary, Auxiliary, Lesser, Minor, Subservient, Supplementary, Supplemental, Additional, Extra, Attendant, Peripheral
How to use Subsidiary in a sentence?
- I work for a company with 2 entities. Although ELED solutions is my company name I am paid through the subsidiary ELED electric.
- Despite it being a subsidiary company, the parent company gave it a great degree of autonomy in its policies and business practices.
- The manager reluctantly enforced the new policy that made his workers job more difficult, but as simply the manager of a subsidiary he had to follow the parent companys orders.
- The firms Spanish subsidiary.
- Many environmentalists argue that the cause of animal rights is subsidiary to that of protecting the environment.
Meaning of Subsidiary & Subsidiary Definition