Definition of Stock market:
The stock market refers to the collection of markets and exchanges where regular activities of buying, selling, and issuance of shares of publicly-held companies take place. Such financial activities are conducted through institutionalized formal exchanges or over-the-counter (OTC) marketplaces which operate under a defined set of regulations. There can be multiple stock trading venues in a country or a region which allow transactions in stocks and other forms of securities.
While both terms - stock market and stock exchange - are used interchangeably, the latter term is generally a subset of the former. If one says that she trades in the stock market, it means that she buys and sells shares/equities on one (or more) of the stock exchange(s) that are part of the overall stock market. The leading stock exchanges in the U.S. include the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Nasdaq, and the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE). These leading national exchanges, along with several other exchanges operating in the country, form the stock market of the U.S.
A stock exchange.
A place where shares are bought and sold, i.e. a stock exchange
Example: stock market price or price on the stock market.
Synonyms of Stock market
American Stock Exchange, Amex, Wall Street, Board, Bourse, Commodity exchange, Corn pit, Curb, Curb exchange, Curb market, Exchange, Exchange floor, Outside market, Over-the-counter market, Pit, Quotation board, Stock exchange, Stock ticker, Telephone market, The Big Board, The Exchange, Third market, Ticker, Ticker tape, Wheat pit
How to use Stock market in a sentence?
- He plans to invest in the stock market.
- They perform several functions in markets, including efficient price discovery and efficient dealing.
- If you can invest your money wisely in the stock market it can grow to great sizes in a very quick and steady manner.
- The stock market has reached a new milestone and there are a wide variety of people to thank that made this happen.
- In the US, the stock market is regulated by the SEC and local regulatory bodies.
- Stock markets are vital components of a free-market economy because they enable democratized access to trading and exchange of capital for investors of all kinds.
- My uncle played the stock market a lot and won a lot of money, so I thought I would give it a try as well and see how I did.
Meaning of Stock market & Stock market Definition