Definition of Spinoff:
When a company creates a new independent company by selling or distributing new shares of its existing business, this is called a spinoff. A spinoff is a type of divestiture. A company creates a spinoff expecting that it will be worth more as an independent entitity. A spinoff is also known as a spin out or starbust.
Corporate divestiture accomplished through (1) separation of a division or subsidiary from its parent firm to create a new corporate entity by issuing new shares. These shares are distributed to the current stockholders (shareholders) in proportion to their current shareholdings, and may also be sold to the public, or (2) a leveraged buyout by the management of the division or subsidiary.
A parent company will spin off part of its business if it expects that it will be lucrative to do so. The spin off will have a separate management structure and a new name, but it will retain the same assets, intellectual property, and human resources. The parent company will continue to provide financial and technological support in most cases.
A by-product or incidental result of a larger project.
Synonyms of Spinoff
Consequence, Result, Upshot, Outcome, Out-turn, Effect, Repercussion, Reverberations, Sequel, Product, By-product, Spin-off, Conclusion, End, End result
How to use Spinoff in a sentence?
- I did not like the spinoff and I didnt even like the original either, so I wondered why I would watch the spinoff .
- The spun-off companies are expected to be worth more as independent entities than as parts of a larger business.
- The commercial spin-off from defence research.
- When a corporation spins off a business unit that has its own management structure, it sets it up as an independent company under a renamed business entity.
- You need to be able to accurately predict how a spinoff will go so that you are prepared to handle whatever comes.
- A spinoff is the creation of an independent company through the sale or distribution of new shares of an existing business or division of a parent company.
- The Voice is a singing talent competition that is a spinoff of American Idol which was popularized in 2001 when Kelly Clarkson became the first to win the competition.
Meaning of Spinoff & Spinoff Definition