Definition of Seniority:
Privileged status attained by an employee because of the length of continuous service with the same employer, and which usually determines the order of promotion, benefits, or layoffs.
The fact or state of being older or higher in position or status than someone else.
A privileged position earned by reason of longer service or higher rank.
Synonyms of Seniority
Aboriginality, Accomplishment, Age, Ancien regime, Ancientness, Antiquity, Ascendancy, Atavism, Authority, Cobwebs of antiquity, Consequence, Deanship, Dust of ages, Eld, Elderliness, Eldership, Eminence, Excellence, Favor, Great age, Greatness, Hoary age, Hoary eld, Importance, Incomparability, Influence, Influentialness, Inimitability, Inveteracy, Lead, Majority, Moment, Old age, Old order, Old style, Oldness, One-upmanship, Precedence, Predominance, Predomination, Preeminence, Preponderance, Prepotence, Prepotency, Prerogative, Pressure, Prestige, Primitiveness, Primogeniture, Primordialism, Primordiality, Priority, Privilege, Prominence, Rank, Right-of-way, Senility, Skill, Stature, Success, Superiority, Transcendence, Transcendency, Venerableness, Virtuosity, Weight, Weightiness, Rank, Standing, Primacy, Superiority, Precedence, Priority, Longer service, Age
How to use Seniority in a sentence?
- Mary has been with the company for twenty years whereas Jenny has only been with the company for two years, therefore Mary has seniority when picking her vacation dates and usually gets to take off for Christmas whereas newer employees like Jenny have to work all through the holidays.
- If you have the most seniority in your department than many of the perks of the job should go to you first.
- The seniority of the manager was the most important factor in listening to her when determining which direction to go.
- One by one, in order of seniority, employees names were called.
- Pay and benefits rise with seniority.
Meaning of Seniority & Seniority Definition