Definition of Restitution:
Recompense for injury or loss.
The restoration of something lost or stolen to its proper owner.
Amount paid by an offender on the orders of a court in (1) returning a thing to its lawful owner, (2) restoring a damaged property to its original state, or (3) compensating the victim(s) of his or her wrong doing.
The restoration of something to its original state.
Synonyms of Restitution
Return, Restoration, Handing back, Replacement, Surrender, Yielding, Recovery, Compensation, Recompense, Reparation, Damages, Indemnification, Indemnity, Reimbursement, Repayment, Remuneration, Reward, Redress, Satisfaction, About-face, Amends, Atonement, Backing, Backsliding, Balancing, Blood money, Commutation, Compensation, Composition, Compromise, Consideration, Counteraction, Counterbalancing, Damages, Disenchantment, Expiation, Expiatory offering, Flip-flop, Guerdon, Honorarium, Improvement, Indemnification, Indemnity, Instauration, Kickback, Lapse, Lex talionis, Making amends, Making good, Making right, Making up, Meed, Offsetting, Peace offering, Piaculum, Price, Propitiation, Quittance, Reactivation, Recidivation, Recidivism, Reclamation, Recompense, Reconstitution, Reconversion, Recoupment, Recovery, Rectification, Redemption, Redintegration, Redress, Reenactment, Reestablishment, Reformation, Refund, Refundment, Regress, Regression, Rehabilitation, Reimbursement, Reinstatement, Reinstation, Reinstitution, Reinvestiture, Reinvestment, Relapse, Remuneration, Reparation, Repayment, Replacement, Reprisal, Requital, Requitement, Restoration, Retaliation, Retribution, Retrocession, Retrogradation, Retrogression, Retroversion, Return, Returning, Revenge, Reversal, Reverse, Reversion, Reverting, Revulsion, Reward, Salvage, Satisfaction, Slipping back, Smart money, Solatium, Squaring, Substitution, Turn, Turnabout, Wergild
How to use Restitution in a sentence?
- After the judge found her guilty of vandalism, as restitution she was ordered to repaint the graffiti covered wall and pay the shop owner for lost revenue.
- He was ordered to pay $6,000 in restitution.
- Restitution of the damaged mucosa.
- After the judge ruled against him and levied a small fine as restitution , Jack scrimped and saved to pay it as quickly as he could.
- The criminal was ordered to pay restitution to the family for stealing/destroying their possessions while ransacking the said families property.
- Seeking the restitution of land taken from ■■■■■■ under apartheid.
Meaning of Restitution & Restitution Definition