Reference group

Reference group,

Definition of Reference group:

1. A social group that makes man a reference in shaping attitudes and behaviors.

2. Individuals whose attitudes, behaviors, beliefs, opinions, preferences and values ​​are used by individuals as the basis for their decisions. No reference group needs to be a member (or even fight for it) to be negatively or positively affected by its features.

How to use Reference group in a sentence?

1. They are my referral group and I base my decision on everyone I see how they behave throughout the day.
  2. The reference group study examines consumer ideas and experiences in this area.
  3. You should try to contact a group of co-workers if you would like a third party opinion.

Meaning of Reference group & Reference group Definition

Social Groups

“When two or people come together and influence one another, they may be called a social group.” Two or more than two people who interact with each other, share similar characteristics, share sense of belonging, and collectively have a sense of unity. This is called Social Group

Basic Types of Social Groups:

Following are two types of Social groups given by C.H. Cooley

Primary Groups:

• Primary groups play most critical role in our lives.
• Primary group is generally small.
• There is face to face and more often interaction.
• The members possess same background such as culture, language, religion etc.
• Members of primary group spend more time together
• They are interdependent
• They have more sense of responsibility.
• They are connected to each other emotionally and personally.

Example:

Family, relatives, friend and neighbors.
The most common example of primary group is family. Family is interdependent, emotionally connected, have sense of responsibility, and they spend the most time together. Family is emotionally present for each member. They support in all matters and decisions.
For instance, if mother has bounded son to go outside the house after evening time, then he is bound to follow the instructions in order to fulfil the requirements and norms of family and that group.

Secondary Groups:

• In secondary group, there is less interaction.
• The members of secondary group are impersonal and secondary.
• They are generally large in size.
• Members are not really connected emotionally and personally.
• Members are not interdependent.
• They are passionate to achieve goals and aims.
• The members are together as long as they have interest towards aim.

Example:

Relation between an advocate and client stays until the case is finished
Relation between Doctor and patient stays until the patient is treated.
Relation between Shopkeeper and buyer stays until the purchasing is done.
These are short term relations, which finishes when the task or aim achieved

Reference Group

A group with which the customer identifies in some way and whose opinions and experiences influence the customer's behavior. For example, a sports fan can buy the kit of his favorite team.