Definition of Recession:
The action of receding; motion away from an observer.
Period of general economic decline, defined usually as a contraction in the GDP for six months (two consecutive quarters) or longer. Marked by high unemployment, stagnant wages, and fall in retail sales, a recession generally does not last longer than one year and is much milder than a depression. Although recessions are considered a normal part of a capitalist economy, there is no unanimity of economists on its causes.
A period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced, generally identified by a fall in GDP in two successive quarters.
Synonyms of Recession
Abandonment, Alcove, Backset, Backsliding, Backward motion, Backward step, Bad times, Bay, Boom, Bottoming out, Business cycle, Business fluctuations, Bust, Capitulation, Cession, Cooling off, Corner, Cove, Crisis, Decline, Depression, Dip, Downturn, Economic cycle, Economic expansion, Economic growth, Economic stagnation, Evil day, Expanding economy, Expansion, Giving in, Giving over, Giving up, Growth, Hard times, Heavy weather, High growth rate, Inglenook, Lapse, Low, Market expansion, Niche, Nook, Peak, Peaking, Pitchhole, Prosperity, Rainy day, Reaction, Recedence, Recess, Recidivation, Recidivism, Recovery, Reentry, Refluence, Reflux, Regress, Regression, Relapse, Relinquishment, Renunciation, Retreat, Retroaction, Retrocession, Retroflexion, Retrogradation, Retrogression, Retrusion, Return, Rollback, Sad times, Setback, Slowdown, Slump, Stagnation, Sternway, Stormy weather, Surrender, Throwback, Upturn, Economic decline, Downturn, Depression, Slump, Slowdown, Trough, Credit crunch, Credit squeeze
How to use Recession in a sentence?
- The expansion of the Universe is described by a very simple equation called Hubbles law; the velocity of the recession of a galaxy is equal to a constant times its distance.
- The current economic situation is one the largest periods of economic decline since the Great Depression of the 1930s which remains, to this day, the largest recession the world has ever known.
- The account broker lost most of his money during the recession , but made it all back in the few years that followed.
- Many people cut back on unnecessary shopping and travel during the last recession , because they felt their jobs might be in jeopardy.
- The country is in the depths of a recession.
Meaning of Recession & Recession Definition