Definition of Quasi contract:
A quasi contract is a retroactive arrangement between two parties who have no previous obligations to one another. It is created by a judge to correct a circumstance in which one party acquires something at the expense of the other.
An obligation of one party to another imposed by law independently of an agreement between the parties.
Courts determination of an obligation of one party to another where no actual contract exists. It is based on the parties conduct, mutual relationship, and/or on the possibility that one would be unjustly enriched at the expense of the other. In strict legal terms a quasi contract does not constitute a formal contract, but is a legal remedy that allows a plaintiff to recover an award or benefit conferred on the defendant.
The contract aims to prevent one party from unfairly benefiting from the situation at the other party's expense. These arrangements may be imposed when goods or services are accepted, though not requested, by a party. The acceptance then creates an expectation of payment.
How to use Quasi contract in a sentence?
- Given the fact that the two men spent hours negotiating the terms of the agreement, shook hands as a sign of the agreement, and followed the agreement for two years before any breach arose, the judge determined that their agreement qualified as a quasi contract .
- A quasi contract is a retroactive arrangement between two parties who have no previous obligations to one another.
- It was a quasi contract and not an actual one, but the man would still be liable and would have to honor it the same.
- It is created by a judge to correct a circumstance in which one party acquires something at the expense of the other.
- The defendant must have accepted, or acknowledged receipt of, the item but made no effort or offer to pay for it.
- It is unclear whether there would be any obligation in quasi-contract to make restitution.
- The plaintiff must have furnished a tangible item or service to another party with the expectation or implication that payment would be given.
- You should always try to present a good case if you are trying to prove that someone else has entered into a quasi contract .
Meaning of Quasi contract & Quasi contract Definition