Punitive damages

Punitive damages,

Definition of Punitive damages:

1. Punitive damages are legal recompense that a defendant found guilty of committing a wrong or offense is ordered to pay on top of compensatory damages. They are awarded by a court of law when compensatory damages are deemed to be insufficient.

2. Court awarded sum that is considerably or greatly higher than the measurable value of the injury. Punitive damages are meant not to compensate the aggrieved party but to punish the offending party for its reckless or unconscionable actions or conduct.

3. Damages exceeding simple compensation and awarded to punish the defendant.

4. Punitive damages go beyond compensating the aggrieved party and are specifically designed to punish defendants whose conduct is considered grossly negligent or intentional. They are also called exemplary damages.

How to use Punitive damages in a sentence?

1. Exemplary damages or punitive damages, the terms are synonymous, stand apart from awards of compensatory damages.
  2. Punitive damages are legal recompense that a defendant found guilty of committing a wrong or offense is ordered to pay on top of compensatory damages.
  3. When the woman went to her lawyer to discuss the car accident she was in, he suggested that the lawsuit included punitive damages since the other driver was driving with known brake problems.
  4. I was the victim of an auto accident and I suffered immensely as I was awarded punitive damages for my loss.
  5. It is hoped that making the perpetrator pay a sum stretching beyond compensatory damages will deter him or her and others from committing similar misdeeds in the future.
  6. Because of the negligent manner in which some manufacturers produce goods without proper safety testing, some juries find that injured consumers should be awarded punitive damages to punish the company for its actions.
  7. They are awarded by a court of law not to compensate injured plaintiffs but to punish defendants whose conduct is considered grossly negligent or intentional.

Meaning of Punitive damages & Punitive damages Definition