Definition of Probate:
Probate is the term for a legal process in which a will is reviewed to determine whether it is valid and authentic. Probate also refers to the general administering of a deceased person's will or the estate of a deceased person without a will.
The official proving of a will.
Certificate issued by a court that the will of a deceased is legally valid, and that the executors appointed under the will are authorized to administer his or her estate.
Establish the validity of (a will).
After an asset-holder dies, the court appoints either an executor named in the will or an administrator (if there is no will) to administer the process of probate. This involves collecting the assets of a deceased person to pay any liabilities remaining on the person's estate, and to distribute the assets of the estate to beneficiaries.
Legal process by which the assets of a deceased are properly distributed (if he or she made a will) to the beneficiaries or heirs through an executor named in the will, or (if he or she died without a will) according to the local law by a court appointed administrator. The courts objective is to ensure that the deceaseds debts, taxes, and other valid-claims are paid out of his or her estate (probate assets) before any distribution is made to the estates beneficiaries, in accordance with the will (if it exists) or on the orders of the court (if it doesnt). The proceedings of this public process may take years if disputes about claims arise.
Synonyms of Probate
Affirm, Attest, Attested copy, Authenticate, Back, Back up, Bear out, Bequeathal, Bequest, Bolster, Buttress, Certify, Circumstantiate, Codicil, Confirm, Corroborate, Devise, Document, Fortify, Inheritance, Legacy, Prove, Ratify, Reinforce, Strengthen, Substantiate, Support, Sustain, Testament, Undergird, Uphold, Validate, Verify, Warrant, Will
How to use Probate in a sentence?
- A probate proceeding is not always required upon death but is usually essential when a deceased person’s remaining estate is of high value.
- Probate proceedings are typically focused around the existence of a will.
- The will was in probate.
- Probate is the legal process for reviewing the assets of a deceased person and determining inheritors.
- You will either need to conduct a normal probate, commonly known as an independent administration, or you might be able to conduct a simplified form of probate called probating the will as a muniment of title.
- Individuals can avoid exorbitant probate costs and complexities by having an easily authenticated will or using investment vehicles that do not require probate.
Meaning of Probate & Probate Definition