Overhaul

Overhaul,

Definition of Overhaul:

1. A thorough examination of machinery or a system, with repairs or changes made if necessary.

2. Process of restoring and maintaining an equipment, machine, or system in a serviceable condition. Overhaul involves (1) partial or complete disassembly of the item, (2) inspection to detect damaged, defective, or worn parts, (3) repair or replacement of such parts, and (4) reassembly, testing, and trial-run prior to returning the item to its full operating level.

3. Overtake (someone), especially in a sporting event.

4. Take apart (a piece of machinery or equipment) in order to examine it and repair it if necessary.

Synonyms of Overhaul

Service, Maintain, Repair, Mend, Fix up, Patch up, Rebuild, Renovate, Revamp, Recondition, Remodel, Refit, Refurbish, Modernize, Adjust, Adjustment, Amends, Audit, Autopsy, Balance, Balance the books, Canvass, Catch up with, Check, Check out, Check over, Check up on, Cobble, Come up to, Come up with, Commission, Compensation, Condition, Correction, Darn, Demonstrate, Do up, Doctor, Double-check, Examination, Examine, Fix, Fix up, Fixing, Gain on, Gain upon, Get ahead of, Give an examination, Go over, Inspect, Inspect the books, Inspection, Inventory, Lap, Leave behind, Leave standing, Look at, Look over, Making right, Mend, Mending, Monitor, Observe, Outdistance, Outpace, Outrun, Outsail, Outstrip, Overhauling, Overlook, Overtake, Pass, Pass over, Pass under review, Patch, Patch up, Peer at, Perlustration, Perusal, Peruse, Pore over, Postmortem, Prove, Put in commission, Put in order, Put in repair, Put in shape, Quality control, Ready, Rebuild, Rebuilding, Recap, Recompense, Recondition, Reconditioning, Reconstruct, Rectification, Redress, Refurbish, Remedy, Renovate, Renovation, Repair, Repairing, Reparation, Restore, Retread, Revamp, Review, Run over, Run-through, Satisfaction, Scan, Scrutinize, Scrutiny, Service, Set an examination, Set to rights, Sew up, Size, Size up, Study, Survey, Take, Take account of, Take stock, Take stock of, Take the measure, Tinker, Tinker up, Troubleshooting, Verify, Visitation, Overtake, Pass, Get past, Go past, Go by, Go faster than, Get ahead of, Pull ahead of, Outdistance, Outstrip

How to use Overhaul in a sentence?

1. Jodami overhauled his chief rival.
  2. Sometimes you may need to make a complete overhaul to how your business is running and that may take time.
  3. A major overhaul of environmental policies.
  4. The mechanic said my car needs a complete overhaul , because I have not had a tune up and fluid change in over 100,000 miles.
  5. My mechanic informed me that my car required a complete overhaul , so he could diagnose exactly what was wrong with it.
  6. A company that overhauls and repairs aircraft engines.

Meaning of Overhaul & Overhaul Definition