Definition of Ounce:
A unit of weight of one sixteenth of a pound avoirdupois (approximately 28 grams)A unit of one twelfth of a pound troy or apothecaries measure, equal to 480 grains (approximately 31 grams).
Fabric density: Expressed as ounces per square yard (oz/yd2), it equals 33.90 grams per square meter (gsm). It is also expressed as ounces per linear yard for a particular width: for a fabric with 60 inch width, one ounce per linear yard equals 31 grams per linear meter.
Weight: One-sixteenth of a pound or about 28.35 grams. Also called avoirdupois ounce, it equals 0.91 troy ounce.
Short for fluid ounce.
A very small amount of something.
Volume: See also fluid ounce.
Synonyms of Ounce
Particle, Scrap, Bit, Speck, Iota, Whit, Jot, Trace, Atom, Shred, Crumb, Fragment, Grain, Drop, Spot, Mite, Tittle, Jot or tittle, Modicum, Ace, Atom, Bit, Crumb, Dab, Dole, Dot, Dram, Dribble, Driblet, Drop, Dwarf, Farthing, Fleck, Flyspeck, Fragment, Gobbet, Grain, Granule, Groat, Hair, Handful, Iota, Jot, Little, Little bit, Minim, Minimum, Minutiae, Mite, Modicum, Molecule, Mote, Nutshell, Particle, Pebble, Pinch, Pittance, Point, Scruple, Shred, Smidgen, Smitch, Speck, Spoonful, Spot, Thimbleful, Tiny bit, Tittle, Trifling amount, Trivia, Whit
How to use Ounce in a sentence?
- Mustering every ounce of his being, 9-year-old Joseph Kennedy decided to tell the teacher that he wet his pants and needed to be excused to go home and change his clothes.
- Robin summoned up every ounce of strength.
- You would not even feel an ounce of pain if you tried it because it felt really good and not at all like you were getting a tooth yanked out.
- When my potates came out to weigh 37 ounce s I was very surprised, I realized I probably had more than enough potates for dinner tonight.
- Melt three ounces of butter in a large frying pan.
Meaning of Ounce & Ounce Definition