Definition of Ordinance:
Decree or law promulgated by a state or national government without the consent of the legislature, such as for raising revenue through new taxes or mobilization of resources during an emergency or threat.
An authoritative order; a decree.
A piece of legislation enacted by a municipal authority.
A prescribed religious rite.
Local law such as a zoning ordinance enacted by the governing body of a city or municipality which applies only within its boundaries. To have full force and effect of law, an ordinance must not be in conflict with any higher law such as state or national law or constitutional provisions.
Synonyms of Ordinance
Edict, Decree, Law, Injunction, Fiat, Command, Order, Rule, Ruling, Dictum, Dictate, Directive, Mandate, Enactment, Statute, Act, Canon, Regulation, Rite, Ritual, Ceremony, Sacrament, Observance, Service, Usage, Institution, Practice, Act, Appointment, Bill, Brevet, Bull, Bylaw, Canon, Ceremonial, Ceremony, Code, Commandment, Convention, Declaration, Decree, Decree-law, Decreement, Decretal, Decretum, Dictate, Dictation, Dictum, Diktat, Duty, Edict, Edictum, Enactment, Fiat, Form, Form of worship, Formality, Formula, Formulary, Function, General principle, Golden rule, Guideline, Guiding principle, Holy rite, Imperative, Institution, Ipse dixit, Jus, Law, Legislation, Lex, Liturgy, Maxim, Measure, Mitzvah, Mode of worship, Moral, Mystery, Norm, Observance, Office, Order of worship, Ordonnance, Practice, Precept, Prescribed form, Prescript, Prescription, Principium, Principle, Proclamation, Pronouncement, Pronunciamento, Regulation, Rescript, Rite, Ritual, Ritual observance, Rituality, Rubric, Rule, Ruling, Sacrament, Sacramental, Senatus consult, Senatus consultum, Service, Settled principle, Solemnity, Standard, Standing order, Statute, Tenet, Ukase, Working principle, Working rule
How to use Ordinance in a sentence?
- The details regarding the narrow limits that exist on the right to use these rooms and tight controls over them have since been regulated in special state government ordinances in order to prevent misuse.
- There was an ordinance preventing my entrepreneurship plan so I had to go through all the legal channels to achieve my dream.
- It was city ordinance that did not allow its residents to have large structures or gardens in their front yards.
- Because of the problem the city had with individuals allowing their dogs to roam free at the public parks, an ordinance was passed prohibiting dogs that are not on leashes.
- Talmudic ordinances.
- A city ordinance banned smoking in nearly all types of restaurants.
Meaning of Ordinance & Ordinance Definition