Definition of Ombudsman:
Government official appointed to investigate citizens complaints against government officials, large public and private corporations, and/or print and broadcast media. While, in general, ombudsmen have wide investigative powers, they have only a few punitive powers.
Ombudsmen may be called by different names in some countries, including titles such as a public advocate or national defender.
An official appointed to investigate individuals complaints against maladministration, especially that of public authorities.
An ombudsman is an official, usually appointed by the government, who investigates complaints (usually lodged by private citizens) against businesses, financial institutions, or government departments or other public entities, and attempts to resolve the conflicts or concerns raised, either by mediation or by making recommendations.
Synonyms of Ombudsman
JA, Agent, Amicus curiae, Assessor, Barmaster, Chancellor, Circuit judge, Connection, Deputy, Front, Front man, Go-between, Interagent, Interceder, Intercessor, Intermediary, Intermediate, Intermediate agent, Intermediator, Intermedium, Internuncio, Intervener, Interventionist, Interventor, Judge advocate, Judge ordinary, Jurat, Justice in eyre, Justice of assize, Lay judge, Legal assessor, Master, Mediator, Medium, Middleman, Military judge, Mouthpiece, Negotiant, Negotiator, Negotiatress, Negotiatrix, Ordinary, Police judge, Presiding judge, Probate judge, Puisne judge, Recorder, Spokesman, Spokeswoman, Vice-chancellor, Defender, Preserver, Bodyguard, Minder, Guardian, Guard, Champion, Watchdog, Ombudsman, Knight in shining armour, Guardian angel, Patron, Chaperone, Escort, Keeper, Custodian
How to use Ombudsman in a sentence?
- In the U.S. members of Congress serve as ombudsmen.
- An ombudsman investigates complaints against businesses and other organizations, including the government.
- Ombudsmen's decisions are not always legally binding.
- After the local resident filed a scathing complaint against the city, an ombudsman hurriedly arrived to review the case, and begin their investigation.
- The government sent an ombudsman to investigate the townspeoples toxic chemical complaints, but many doubted that he would be a fair and objective judge of what was happening.
- I registered my complaints about my homeowners insurance company with the local ombudsman to see if I could obtain a resolution to our dispute.
- These failures in human communication feature in many of the complaints investigated by the ombudsmans office.
Meaning of Ombudsman & Ombudsman Definition