Next of kin,
Definition of Next of kin:
Next of kin refers to a person's closest living blood relative. The next-of-kin relationship is important in determining inheritance rights if a person dies without a will and has no spouse and/or children. The next of kin may also have responsibilities during and after their relative's life. For example, the next of kin might need to make medical decisions if the person becomes incapacitated, or take responsibility for their funeral/burial arrangements and financial affairs after their relative dies.
A persons closest living relative or relatives.
The term next of kin is sometimes interpreted in a broader sense, to include the spouse or anyone who would receive a portion of the estate by the laws of descent and distribution if there were no will. In this context, next of kin would include a spouse—a person related by the tie of legal marriage.
Nearest relative of a deceased, by affinity (such as wife) or blood (such as a parent, sibling, or offspring).
Synonyms of Next of kin
Agnate, Ancestry, Blood, Blood relation, Blood relative, Clansman, Cognate, Collateral, Collateral relative, Connections, Consanguinean, Distaff side, Distant relation, Enate, Family, Flesh, Flesh and blood, Folks, German, Kin, Kindred, Kinfolk, Kinnery, Kinsfolk, Kinsman, Kinsmen, Kinswoman, Kith and kin, Near relation, People, Posterity, Relations, Relatives, Sib, Sibling, Spear kin, Spear side, Spindle kin, Spindle side, Sword side, Tribesman, Uterine kin, Closest relative, Closest relation, Nearest blood relation, Nearest blood relative, Closest family member
How to use Next of kin in a sentence?
- The specifics of determining next of kin, and inheritance, vary by jurisdiction.
- A legally and properly executed will covering inheritable property usually takes precedence over next-of-kin inheritance rights.
- The police notified the next of kin.
- Funds from insurance policies and retirement accounts go to beneficiaries designated by these documents, regardless of next-of-kin relationships or even will bequests.
- Next of kin generally refers to a person's closest living blood relative.
Meaning of Next of kin & Next of kin Definition