Misrepresentation

Misrepresentation,

Definition of Misrepresentation:

1. Fraudulent, negligent, or innocent misstatement, or an incomplete statement, of a material fact. If a specific misrepresentation induces the other party to enter into a contract, that party may have the legal right to rescind the contract or seek compensation for damages. The guilty party avail of the defense that the wronged party could have checked the facts and have discovered what was wrong. A misstatement of an intention or opinion is generally not considered a misrepresentation.

2. The action or offense of giving a false or misleading account of the nature of something.

3. A misrepresentation is a false statement of a material fact made by one party which affects the other party's decision in agreeing to a contract. If the misrepresentation is discovered, the contract can be declared void and depending on the situation, the adversely impacted party may seek damages. In such a contract dispute, the party that made the misrepresentation becomes the defendant, and the aggrieved party is the plaintiff.

4. Misrepresentation applies only to statements of fact, not to opinions or predictions. Misrepresentation is a basis for contract breach for transactions, no matter the size.

Synonyms of Misrepresentation

Canard, Coloring, Confabulation, Corruption, Distortion, Equivocation, Exaggeration, False coloring, False swearing, Falsehood, Falsification, Falsifying, Falsity, Fib, Lie, Miscoloring, Misconstruction, Misdirection, Misinterpretation, Misstatement, Misuse, Perjury, Perversion, Prevarication, Slanting, Story, Straining, Tale, Torturing, Untruth

How to use Misrepresentation in a sentence?

1. There are a lot of times in our lives where we are going to encounter people that have some form of misrepresentation of who they are or what the whole story is, but, I do know that as our countries president I can assure you there has never been anything but honesty and truth from our government.
  2. Misrepresentation is a basis for contract breach for transactions, no matter the size.
  3. My firm excelled in misrepresentation of the client and I knew that we would be open for only a few more years.
  4. Sometimes you may say something and others will take a misrepresentation and think you meant something you did not mean.
  5. Misrepresentation applies only to statements of fact, not to opinions or predictions.
  6. Misrepresentations are false statements of truth that affect another party's decision related to a contract.
  7. She is seeking damages on allegations of misrepresentation.
  8. There are three types of misrepresentations—innocent misrepresentation, negligent misrepresentation, and fraudulent misrepresentation—all of which have varying remedies.
  9. Misrepresentation can void a contract and in some cases allow the other party to seek damages.

Meaning of Misrepresentation & Misrepresentation Definition