Definition of Median:
A straight line drawn from any vertex of a triangle to the middle of the opposite side.
The strip of land between the lanes of opposing traffic on a divided highway.
The median is the middle number in a sorted, ascending or descending, list of numbers and can be more descriptive of that data set than the average.
Situated in the middle, especially of the body.
Denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.
Value or quantity that falls halfway between a set of values arranged in an ascending or descending order. When the set contains an odd number of values, the median value is exactly in middle. If the number of values is even, then median is computed by averaging the two numbers closest to the middle. See also mode.
Median is the middle number in a sorted list of numbers. To determine the median value in a sequence of numbers, the numbers must first be sorted, or arranged, in value order from lowest to highest or highest to lowest. The median can be used to determine an approximate average, or mean, but is not to be confused with the actual mean.
The median value of a range of values.
Synonyms of Median
Amidships, Average, Balance, Banal, Center, Centermost, Central, Common, Core, Diameter, Diaphragm, Equator, Equatorial, Equidistant, Generality, Golden mean, Halfway, Happy medium, Heart, Intercurrent, Interior, Interjacent, Intermediary, Intermediate, Intervenient, Intervening, Juste-milieu, Kernel, Mean, Medial, Mediocre, Mediocrity, Mediterranean, Medium, Mesial, Mesne, Mezzo, Mid, Middle, Middle course, Middle ground, Middle point, Middle position, Middle state, Middle-of-the-road, Middlemost, Middling, Midland, Midmost, Midpoint, Midriff, Midships, Midst, Midway, Moderate, Norm, Normal, Nuclear, Nucleus, Ordinary, Par, Routine, Rule, Run, Standard, Thick, Thick of things, Usual, Via media, Waist, Waistline, Zone, Halfway, In-between, Middle, Mid, Midway, Median, Intermediary, Intervening, Interposed, Transitional, Mean, Median, Mode, Midpoint, Centre, Centre, Mean, Median, Mid point, Halfway point, Dead centre, Focal point, Focus, Hub, Nucleus, Midst
How to use Median in a sentence?
- Coimbatore city has many such road medians, roadside parks and traffic islands.
- Acreages ranged from one to fifty-two with a median of twenty-four.
- The median is sometimes used as opposed to the mean when there are outliers in the sequence that might skew the average of the values.
- The median is the middle number in a sorted, ascending or descending, list of numbers and can be more descriptive of that data set than the average.
- If there is an odd amount of numbers, the median value is the number that is in the middle, with the same amount of numbers below and above.
- If there is an even amount of numbers in the list, the middle pair must be determined, added together, and divided by two to find the median value.
- The median duration of this treatment was four months.
- The median part of the sternum.
Meaning of Median & Median Definition