Definition of Market share:
Market share is the percent of total sales in an industry generated by a particular company. Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period. This metric is used to give a general idea of the size of a company in relation to its market and its competitors. The market leader in an industry is the company with the largest market share.
A percentage of total sales volume in a market captured by a brand, product, or company.
A company's market share is its portion of total sales in relation to the market or industry in which it operates. To calculate a company's market share, first determine a period you want to examine. It can be a fiscal quarter, year, or multiple years.
How to use Market share in a sentence?
- This metric is used to give a general idea of the size of a company in relation to its market and its competitors.
- Knowing what the market share on your company is will help you to figure out how much profit you are due to make.
- Market share represents the percentage of an industry, or a market's total sales, that is earned by a particular company over a specified time period.
- They are buying up the properties in order to build a strip mall. Most likely we will not get the market share value for the house.
- We were able to improve our market share by investing heavily in our marketing and advertising as we knew we had a great product already.
- Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period.
Meaning of Market share & Market share Definition