Definition of Levy:
An act of levying a tax, fee, or fine.
Levies can be exercised by either a tax authority–such as a state treasury or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)–or a bank.
An act of enlisting troops.
Appropriation or seizure of a debtors specific asset or property through a lawful process, or in satisfaction of a judgment, for the payment of a debt or claim.
Enlist (someone) for military service.
Impose (a tax, fee, or fine).
A levy is the legal seizure of property to satisfy an outstanding debt.
Impose or collect an amount (such as a tax) by compulsion or legal authority.
The amount so collected.
Synonyms of Levy
Angary, Annex, Annexation, Annexure, Ask, Ask for, Assess, Assessment, Attach, Attachment, Beat the drums, Blackmail, Boot, Bugle call, Burden with, Call, Call for, Call to arms, Call up, Call-up, Catchword, Cess, Challenge, Charge, Charge for, Claim, Clamor for, Clarion, Clarion call, Collectivization, Collectivize, Commandeer, Commandeering, Communalization, Communalize, Communization, Communize, Compulsory military service, Confiscate, Confiscation, Conscience money, Conscript, Conscription, Contribution, Cry for, Demand, Demand for, Detach, Detach for service, Direct tax, Distrain, Distraint, Distress, Draft, Draft call, Drafted man, Draftee, Drafting, Drain, Duty, Eminent domain, Enjoin, Enlist, Enlistee, Enlistment, Enroll, Enrollee, Enrollment, Exact, Exaction, Execution, Exhortation, Expropriate, Expropriation, Extort, Extortion, Extortionate demand, Fasten upon, Freight with, Garnish, Garnishment, Go for broke, Graduated taxation, Gung ho, Heavy demand, Impose, Impose on, Impose upon, Imposition, Impost, Impound, Impoundment, Impress, Impressment, Indent, Indirect tax, Induct, Inductee, Induction, Inflict on, Inflict upon, Insistent demand, Issue an ultimatum, Join, Joint return, Lay, Lay on, List, Make a demand, Make dutiable, Mobilization, Mobilize, Muster, Muster in, Nationalization, Nationalize, Nonnegotiable demand, Notice, Order, Order up, Place, Place an order, Press, Pro rata, Progressive tax, Prorate, Put, Put down, Put in requisition, Put on, Put upon, Raise, Rally, Rallying cry, Raw recruit, Rebel yell, Recruit, Recruiting, Recruitment, Replevin, Replevy, Require, Requirement, Requisition, Right of angary, Rookie, Rush, Rush order, Saddle with, Screw, Selectee, Selective service, Separate returns, Sequester, Sequestrate, Sequestration, Set, Sign on, Sign up, Single tax, Slogan, Socialization, Socialize, Stick for, Subject to, Summon, Summons, Supertax, Surtax, Tariff, Task, Tax, Tax base, Tax dodging, Tax evasion, Tax exemption, Tax return, Tax structure, Tax withholding, Tax-exempt status, Taxable income, Taxation, Taxing, Tenderfoot, Tithe, Toll, Trainee, Tribute, Trumpet call, Ultimatum, War cry, War whoop, Warn, Warning, Watchword, Weight down with, Withholding tax, Wrest, Wring, Yoke with, Conscript, Call up, Enlist, Mobilize, Rally, Muster, Marshal, Press, Recruit, Raise, Assemble, Round up, Tax, Tariff, Toll, Excise, Duty, Fee, Imposition, Impost, Exaction, Assessment, Tithe, Payment, Impose, Charge, Exact, Demand, Raise, Collect, Gather
How to use Levy in a sentence?
- Union members were hit with a 2 percent levy on all pay.
- Edward I and Edward II had made substantial use of the feudal levy for raising an army.
- Levies are the legal means by which a taxing authority or a bank can seize property for the payment of a debt.
- In order to impose a levy on the property mentioned in the court proceedings, the property must have a clear bill of sale which indicates the full name and address of the new owner.
- Properties that can be seized in a levy are both real–such as cash, cars, and houses–as well as intangible and held by someone else, like future wages.
- In history class the students learned about the levy on tea imposed by the British government which caused the American colonist to dump it into the harbor which was one of the events that brought about the revolutionary war.
- He sought to levy one man from each parish for service.
- A levy is different from a lien because a levy takes the property to satisfy the tax debt, whereas a lien is a claim used as security for the tax debt.
- The Internal Revenue Service will frequently levy a fine against a person who has willfully not paid his or her income taxes.
- A new tax could be levied on industry to pay for cleaning up contaminated land.
Meaning of Levy & Levy Definition