Definition of Labor union:
A labor union, also called a trade union or worker’s union, is an organization that represents the collective interests of employees. Labor unions help workers unite to negotiate with employers over wages, hours, benefits, and other working conditions. They are often industry-specific and tend to be more common in manufacturing, mining, construction, transportation, and the public sector. However, while beneficial to members, labor union representation in the United States has declined significantly in the private sector over time. Effective unions tend to help maintain traditional pensions. They are considered an aspect of social justice.
Labor unions protect the rights of workers in specific industries. A union works like a democracy, holding elections to appoint officers. The union officers are charged with the duty of making decisions beneficial for union participants. The structure of a union is as a locally based group of employees who obtain a charter from a national-level organization. Employees pay dues to the national union. In return, the labor union acts as an advocate on the employees’ behalf.
US term for trade union.
How to use Labor union in a sentence?
- Labor unions have local chapters, each of which obtains a charter from the national-level organization.
- A labor union represents the collective interests of workers, bargaining with employers over such concerns as wages and working conditions.
- Labor unions are specific to industries and work like a democracy.
- When workers at a local business were maltreated by their managers, they went to their labor union for help, who suggested for them to go on strike.
- Labor union s are a group of people who represent workers in different occupations, and work to protect the rights of the workers, such as working conditions, and wages.
- The labor union was organized in order to represent the thousands of men and women working as longshoremen without any legal representation in New Jersey in the 1960s.
Meaning of Labor union & Labor union Definition