Iof5 Polar Or Nonpolar

Iof5 Polar Or Nonpolar

Predict which molecules are polar. IOF5, CF4, AsF3, CH2Cl2.

I know that polarity is determined by the direction of the mesh vector, depending on the VSEPR theory. As far as I know, all these molecules are polar. However, I asked the wrong question during the test. Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

CF4 is non-polar because its structure is tetrahedral with four compatible CF bonds

AsF3 has the same Lewis structure as NH3: it is a triangular pyramid and As has a non-binding electron pair. Expect the molecule to be polar because of this non-binding pair.

IOF5 is octahedral ... although SI connection is canceled ... I = O indicates polarity

And CH2Cl2 are polar because they have two CH bonds and two CCl bonds in their tetrahedral structure.

The polarity of a molecule is determined by the shape of the molecule, whether it is smooth or disproportionate. If a molecule has any kind of harmony, it is a non-polar molecule. If a molecule has an asymmetrical shape, it can be a polar or ultra-polar molecule (depending on the polarity of the bonds in the molecule). In your case, CF4 has a symmetrical tetrahedral form. In this case, the dopole moment is equal to the z / electrons that are evenly distributed, so CF4 is a non-polar molecule, even though it has 4 polar CF bonds.

This page can help you.

D:

Predict which molecules are polar. IOF5, CF4, AsF3, CH2Cl2.

I know that polarity is determined by the direction of the mesh vector, depending on the VSEPR theory. As far as I know, all these molecules are polar. Anyway, at least I didn't go down without explaining myself first. Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

Which molecule is polar?

Lewis Iof5 structure.

Iof5 Polar Or Nonpolar