Definition of Invoice:
A list of goods sent or services provided, with a statement of the sum due for these; a bill.
A nonnegotiable commercial instrument issued by a seller to a buyer. It identifies both the trading parties and lists, describes, and quantifies the items sold, shows the date of shipment and mode of transport, prices and discounts (if any), and delivery and payment terms.
In certain cases (especially when it is signed by the seller or sellers agent), an invoice serves as a demand for payment and becomes a document of title when paid in full. Types of invoice include commercial invoice, consular invoice, customs invoice, and pro forma invoice. Also called a bill of sale or contract of sale.
Send an invoice to (someone).
Companies may opt to simply send a month-end statement as the invoice for all outstanding transactions. If this is the case, the statement must indicate that no subsequent invoices will be sent. Historically, invoices have been recorded on paper, often with multiple copies generated so that the buyer and seller each have a record of the transaction for their own records. Currently, computer-generated invoices are quite common. They can be printed to paper on demand or sent by email to the parties of a transaction. Electronic records also allow for easier searching and sorting of particular transactions or specific dates.
An invoice is a commercial document that itemizes and records a transaction between a buyer and a seller. If goods or services were purchased on credit, the invoice usually specifies the terms of the deal and provides information on the available methods of payment. Types of invoices may include a receipt, a bill of sale, debit note, or sales invoice.
Synonyms of Invoice
Bill, Account, Statement, Statement of charges, Itemization, Reckoning, Tally, Account, Bill, Bill of account, Bill of fare, Bill of lading, Books, Call, Call in, Carte, Check, Demand payment, Dun, Itemized bill, Ledger, Manifest, Menu, Reckoning, Score, Send a statement, Statement, Tab, Bill, Charge, Debit, Send an bill to, Send an invoice to
How to use Invoice in a sentence?
- An invoice is a commercial document that itemizes and records a transaction between a buyer and seller.
- This master file then automatically generates key documents such as commercial invoices, packing lists, bills of exchange, and beneficiary certificates in minutes.
- Invoices are a critical element of accounting internal controls and audits. Charges on an invoice must be approved by the responsible management personnel.
- You should be sure to read over any invoice you receive to make sure you are getting everything you are supposed to.
- If it is an issue, invoice me for the trip and I will send you an account for the full amount of my professional fees.
- I had to send over the invoice before the next day because the manager really needed it right away and would fire me if I did not give it to him.
- You should try and write up an invoice any time there is a big deal so that you have good records of it.
- A paper receipt from a store is a common consumer invoice.
- Invoices can be in paper form, but e-invoices have become much more common.
- Invoices generally outline payment terms, unit costs, shipping, handling, and any other terms outlined during the transaction.
Meaning of Invoice & Invoice Definition